Wednesday, May 6, 2009

On the road again...

Our original week-in-DF plan had been to spend a day in DF, three days based out of Cuernavaca, and another 2-3 days on the road to other little day trips.  Thankfully, I realized what a headache that would be.  Traveling that much in that little time with that many suitcases (remember I had to pack for two weeks, including a stint in the US) would have been a nightmare.  Unpacking every night in a new hotel just to repack in the morning would not have been fun.

So when we got in the bus on Tuesday evening, it wasn't miserable (like it would've been if we'd been doing that daily).  

The bus was windy and inclining- I forgot Cuernavaca is a mountain town (well, city) and that all around DF there is nothing but mountains.  That was a wee bit nauseating.  I made it worse when I got out my computer and tried to send some emails.  I was already hopelessly behind on my blog and realizing that I would pretty much never be caught up.

We arrived, grabbed a cab, and got to the apartment complex.  I had to leave my ID at the front gate, but Reed had prepared me for that.  There was a little note with the key, but we were just interested (as was the driver) in getting there.  
We started unloading, I paid the driver and off he went.
Well, we were staying in Bungalow 3.  I knew this much from the instructions Reed had given me for the gate man.  However, there was nothing marked on any of the four "bungalows."  There was a guy on his laptop on the porch of the apartments right by the bungalows, so I asked him if he knew which one was bungalow three.  No dice.
So then I just decided trial and error.  I tried knocking and then the key in each bungalow (starting logistically with the two middle ones since we were talking #3 out of four).  Finally success.
After we got in, found a bottle of red wine and a folder of Cuernavaca information, I re-opened the note Reed had left with the key.  Of course it had a map of the place, showing not only the layout of the land and which was Bungalow 3, but also which door worked with the key...
Nice.

We got into the house and it was warmer than it was outside, but we turned on a fan in the bedroom, made our plan for Taxco for Wednesday (bus leaves at 9:25), and hit the sack.

No comments: