Thursday, May 21, 2009

Dinner

Why didn't I take pictures of each of my plates?  Question of the year.  I have far too few pictures of food this year.  What a shame.
I headed toward dinner around 6:30 and stopped for a 50 peso glass or marginal wine.  I sat, enjoyed the view, and journaled.  At 7, I made my way up to the empty dining room; I'm always first.  Before long, a really big (in my mind) group of 60-somethings from the US took over.  They would be my people watching victims over the next few days.
My dinner on Sunday night consisted of another soup (they all run together three weeks later), machaca (dried meat) with tortillas of course, and a cold chile salad.  Strange sounding but actually edible.  It's one of those things that if I stayed here another year, I would like it.  
César and Quetzal showed up about the time I was finishing up my plate while I was writing and wining.  I heard her say she didn't feel like the included meal.  The waiter brought her a menu and she ended up ordering machaca.  When her plate came out with pure machaca and the basket of tortillas and César's plate had a serving of machaca, chile salad and tortillas, she laughed and said to the waiter, "I don't need enough machaca for five days.  Just dinner."  We all laughed that she had ordered off the menu (aka extra charge) the same thing that was being served!
Pancho and I had discussed options for Monday.  I wanted to go horseback riding in the Canyon.  Going down into the canyon is a big venture that takes hours and lots of water.  I decided to wash that plan aside and just do whatever horseback riding was offered to me.  At dinner, he came up to me and told me there was no one who would come for just one person, but if I wanted to go with him again the next day to somewhere else, I could pay 300 pesos and go.  He would try to wrestle someone else into it.  I said sure and went off to bed.
As I walked to my room, I thought about the sunrise hike again.  I had this vision of my DVD that I want to make of the year (though at the rate I'm going, it'll be more like a ten disk set!).  It would open with the sunrise in the canyon and close with the sunset in Cozumel.  I could video both and then speed them up.
But, did I really want to get up for another 6 am hike?!

No comments: