Saturday, May 30, 2009

My babies

This video is an excerpt from my first group of first graders.  We were playing the fly swatter game, which they loved.  However, you'll notice how much they struggle (and you might notice the stress in my voice when they continually can't get it!).  We've been working on these words for two weeks.  This game is he lowest level on foreign language there is.  All they have to do is listen and understand.  I provide the word for them and they have options.  They don't have to produce anything, yet they struggle.  The first little girl is Karin, who is a star student, so I think she must've been nervous.  About midway through you'll see Michel who wins but also struggles.  She has some learning disabilities I think, but has come so far.  She's one who wouldn't even know what page we were on (or what planet for that matter) the first few months of school (I speak quite a bit of Spanish with this group, so the language isn't the reason).  She has since learned the procedure of my class (greeting, review of flash cards, command to open books with page number written on board, lesson, song, goodbye) and is a really good student.  She seems to like English, and she's also very good at it.  I attribute a lot of that with this class to the rote memorization.  That's her strength and this class is mostly just that.
You ought to be able to notice that she's a bit awkward, but also that she is pumped to be playing and winning.

No comments: