Thursday, May 7, 2009

I ♥ the DF airport

At least, I love my terminal (whichever that one is) of the DF airport.  I have arrived in DF at both terminals at least once, but I have always departed from DF from the terminal that I love.  There are great shops, there is Haagen-Dazs, the bathrooms are nice, and the Starbucks is welcoming.
This time, however, after going through Customs (should've been my first clue), I was sent to the big, stuffy waiting area of the step-child terminal.  It's muggy.  It's dirty.  There's no good food or beverage.  There are no shops.  It's awful.
What's more is that you don't get your gate information as easily.  I asked at the desk, but it was two hours until departure, so no luck there.  I would have to wait until closer to time.  I got out my computer and surfed a bit and got out my phone.  I had one message (voicemails are not popular here), several missed calls (it tracks those even when your phone is off, which I find pretty cool), and lots of backed up texts.
I started texting people back, letting everyone know what time I'd be back, etc.
Iván, being employed by the airport, always wants to know what flight and what time.  So I told him.  I texted Alma to see if she could pick me up, but I doubted it since it was during her evening job hours.  
Around boarding time, I go check the monitor to see if my gate has changed.  There was a man at a booth who is supposed to be helpful (notice the theme) who sent me to a gate to wait saying that would be my gate.  Luckily, I know Mexico and I hadn't seen anything for Culiacán (I'm quick I tell ya), so I went to check it out.  Sure enough ti had changed.  But not just a little, it had changed significantly.  I had to walk past about 10 gates, which is not so dramatic, before being stopped at security again.  I waited in line while they x-rayed bags ad we all passed through the scanners.  Sometimes I just wonder about the smoke and mirrors of airport security.  I'm thankful it's there, but some things just need a written explanation.  A sign beside it saying "This is the reason we're searching your stuff again."  Or "This is the reason you can't take a sealed bottle of water that you just purchased here in the airport on that plane."  Knowing why makes such a difference!

No comments: