Thursday, May 7, 2009

Misery

So the alarm went off at 6.  I popped right out of bed.  I was half afraid we'd oversleep and be stuck in DF (I can think of worse things, but paying to get back would've been annoying.  Not to mention in hindsight, we would've been stuck in the flu panic!), so I only semi-slept.  Awesome.  24 hours of travel within 60 hours on 2 hours of sleep.  I wasn't going to be a bear...
I get my shower and when I got out, Ashley still hadn't moved.  She hadn't heard the alarm or me!
I wake her up and get myself ready.  
We were quite the sight headed downstairs with our 18 pounds of Talavera pottery on our backs and our stuffed suitcases.  This would be my last time home and my last visitor from near Nashville, so I was taking home anything I could that I knew I wouldn't need.  It's going to be really hard in July to get everything to fit into two suitcases, a carryon and my backpack.  Wish me luck now because I'm certainly going to need it!
We checked out at the front desk and it was evident I hadn't slept.  I could not understand any Spanish!  I know this about myself.  My skills just disappear when I'm not rested or when I'm sick.
Ashley was paying for these two nights since I had paid for the first three.  She had quite a few pesos leftover, so she was paying for as much in cash as possible.  The total bill was like 2000 pesos.  She paid 1800 of it in pesos, leaving a few for snacks in the airport.  Then she was going to run her card for the balance.  When he said he was charging "doscientos" to her card, my tired mind heard "dos mil" and I wigged out telling him she'd already paid almost 2000 pesos in cash and only needed to pay two hundred on her card.  He looked at me like I was crazy and informed me that it was two hundred.  Note to self: do not speak Spanish in a zombie state.
It was about to happen again.  We informed the front desk that we would need a taxi to the airport.  As we were walking out, I saw some add on the TV for a 500 peso ride to the airport (which may have been the Toluca airport, farther away than our Lions Desert).  So as we're loading our van, I ask how much it will be.  When I hear 590, I wig out again.  Tell Ashley we're not paying that much when we can get one off the street.  The hotel staff advises against street taxis, etc.  I start panicking because time is ticking.
We start to walk away and the guys is like, "This is the safest taxi; don't take one from the street."  When I explain that we're not paying 590 pesos, he assures me that it's one hundred ninety pesos.  What is wrong with me?!
We got to the counter and our suitcases were one and two kilos under the limit.  That's pretty much how I travel every time: way too much stuff- but just under the limit, and with a heavier than should be possible backpack.
We get to our gate (the last one of course), bathroom, and wait.

No comments: