Thursday, May 7, 2009

Corpus Christi

I never wanted to go there.  I never thought I would go there.  I spent some time there one Saturday.
Our plane started descending about the time we should've been landing in Houston (since we were a little late getting our of DF due to a late pilot).  Our pilot informs us that there are storms in Houston and we need to emergency land.  We do.  In Corpus Christi.  The gates are all full, so we sit on the tarmac.  We're informed by our very positive pilot that he will keep us up to date with whatever he knows.
After about 30 minutes, as it's getting hot, hot, hotter, he comes on saying it's still stormy in Houston, but the good news is that if we can't land there, no one can leave either, so we should all still make our connections. 
 He also tells us he has no plans of keeping us on the plane for hours and he'll do what he can to get us out of there.  
Another hour passes and he says he'd like to get us off the plane if he could, but there's no customs at CC, so it'll be at least 45 minutes before they can get customs there and get us off.  By then, in my humble opinion, we'll just want to be back on the plane to be able to leave.
Later, he gets back on saying he wishes he could tell us when we'd be able to get off, but he can't make promises.  Nice.
Have I mentioned that there's no a/c since we're not at a gate?  And that we've been on the tarmac for three hours, two rows from the bathroom?  Awesome.
Suddenly, the captain says we're clear to go and since we were the first plane to land in CC, we should be the first to leave.  Everyone get in your seats and let's go to Houston!

I have been texting Andy with updates since he and I were supposed to land in Nashville within ten minutes of each other.  Not so much now!
Since we're already in CC, the jaunt to Houston was a short one.
The customs process was pretty cutthroat which was annoying.  We're all late, people.  All the flights have been pushed back.  Use some common courtesy!
We hadn't gotten any snacks in the DF airport, so once we got through customs and realized what time our flight was (I had another temporary insanity moment checking the screen for our boarding time), we grabbed some nourishment.  Mmmm, Schlotzsky's.  How long has it been?  Probably over a year.  It was delish.
What better way to top off a terrible day than frozen yogurt?  Off we went.  I got swirl with M&Ms I think and Ashley got a scoop of BlueBell (being in Texas after all).  I had my diet coke, my yogurt in a cup, my extra-large backpack and my rolling suitcase.  Ashley helped me out so my yogurt would not go wayward.  That would've probably caused a meltdown at this point.
Our flight was about 4 hours delayed, which was good so we could catch it, but what a miserable day!  I was glad I was traveling with Ashley.  Misery loves company.  Actually, on the plane, we passed a good hour looking through the pictures and videos from the trip ("We're so cute" was a common phrase).  
The flight to Nashville was on a tiny plane, and thankfully, I think we both slept a tiny bit.
We got to Nashville, got picked up by the reverend, and made our way to my condo.  We dumped all things meant to stay in Nashville, picked up things to go with us, and were off to Bowling Green.  Andy was in constant text mode checking in on us.  It took us a lot longer than I had anticipated to change out suitcases at home, so we missed the tail end of the party at Dad's by about 30 minutes.  That's probably good considering I was not in my best form!

No comments: