Saturday, May 9, 2009

Living Large

I was relieved to arrive at La Central (the bus station) three hours after departing Culiacán.  For some reason, I had had it in my mind that the ride was only 2-2.5 hours, so after watching TWO movies, I was more than ready to be there.  (Side note, the movies were really good.  The first one was something I had seen before and liked, but now can't remember.  The second one was a really depressing meets feel good movie with the friend from My Best Friend's Wedding and a girl that I recognized but cannot for the life of me remember her name.)  Before I left Culiacán, I texted and emailed a girl that lives in Mochis.  She had given me her information at the English event for which I had prepared my student Diego back in February (I think).  She had applied for the Fulbright grant for the coming year and was waiting to hear the results.  We chatted for a few minutes at that lunch, but Maribel was in a hurry to go, so we exchanged information.  She had offered her home anytime I wanted to see Mochis, so I sent her an email and a text on Friday before I left town.  Arriving at 8:30 and having still not heard from her, I walked out of La Central into a taxi and asked for him to take me to El Hotel Santa Anita (SAHN-tah ah-KNEE-tah) and the driver responded in his best gringo accent: "Ay-uhl ho-TELL SAN-tuh uh-KNEE-tuh."  I appreciated his joke, knowing that I hadn't said it that way.
The hotel, by the way, was recommended both in my Mexico book and on the train's website.  It's one of about 14 all over Mexico owned by this same guy.  I didn't realize they were "luxury hotels," but that shouldn't have been surprising since your only two options in Mexico seem to be luxury or really crappy.
Anyway, we chat some- where I'm coming from, which of course leads to discussion about the exchange.  What Nashville is like.  How I like Culiacán.  Then he asks me where I learned my Spanish.  I tell him in college.  He is shocked.  He hits the breaks and almost stops the car.
He couldn't believe my Spanish was so "good" for having only studied in college.  I explained that I'd been in Culiacán since August and that I had spent some summers in Spain and Guatemala, but he said (and research would back him up) that usually when people (he meant gringos) learn Spanish that late in life, their accent isn't as good as mine.  Now, I know my accent is not good, because in my book, it wouldn't be good until I sounded like a native and that just ain't realistic.  However, I was pretty much jumping for joy on the inside that I had been complimented that highly.
So anyway, we get close to the hotel and I ask him if he'll be working in the morning because I'll need a ride to the train station.  He says he's not working until the afternoon, but if I want him to come pick me up he will.  I ask what he knows about the trains.  Mamá Alma had told me that the first class train and the "economic train" (half the price, same speed, an hour later departure time) were practically the same except for the food train.  I had read that was true and that the economic train cars were actually used for the first class trains until about 10 years ago.  My taxi driver said the difference in the two was remarkable.  I was fine to save the 40 bucks and sleep in another hour.  He then gave me the most valuable information I could receive: the economic trains only depart three days a week!  That said, I got his number, told him I would do some research and then get back to him that night with a pick-up time.  The first class train departed at 6 daily.  The economic train departed at 7, but it didn't say online which days.
I decided just to be safe and get there at 5:30 and if there was an economic train that day, I would take it and wait in the station for an hour.  He was set to pick me up at 5:15 am.
Ugh.
I got checked in (and did all the internet research after, of course), and was impressed with my room!  It was 65 bucks for the night (gringo robbery in Mexico, but well worth it).
I didn't do much unpacking since I would be there less than 8 hours.  I just scoped the place out, uploaded some pictures to Kodak (that's going to be such a chore when I get back!), and watched a little bit of a movie.  Can anyone guess which one based on the picture?
I set my alarm for 4:15 and did my best version of fall-asleep-before-your-head-hits-the-pillow.  That didn't work out so well because Patti called and woke me up.  Since I was not in Culiacán, if I answered, it would cost me more than usual, so I didn't.  I was already in my hotel anyway and needed to save my credit for when I got back to town and needed a ride!
I fell back asleep quickly and was mad when my alarm went off at 4:15.
I was madder when I got in the really nice shower and there was no hot water.  What good is a hotel without hot water?!  In hindsight, I should've complained and gotten some of my 65 bucks back.  Oh, well.
Being early, as usual, I checked out at 5 am and waited by the door for my taxi man.  The front desk had asked if I needed a ride and I had declined, explaining that I was waiting for a ride...
When it got to be 5:20 and the taxi was still not there, the driver asked me if I wanted to go with them to the train station, since it was getting late, dear.  The other couple looked annoyed that I was horning in on their ride in the Escalade.  And I felt like I was horning in.  But got over it considering I needed to get there!  (Not to mention it was offered to me; I didn't have to ask!)
We ride to the train station and the driver has plenty of info on the city of Mochis for us.  But let's be real.  It was 5:30 am and I'd already been up an hour.  I digested approximately none of it!

No comments: