Friday, May 8, 2009

Patrick again

On Sunday, after the big jump, PK called again.  This time, it was worse news.  He started by saying, "I'm still in the hospital, but that's not why I'm calling.  I'm fine, but i have to break your heart."  This was the middle of the flu coverage.  It had been in the news about three or four days, and was picking up internationally.  
Andy and Turner were set to come down to go to the beach for my five day weekend May 1-5 to celebrate Cinco de mayo (I'm tellin' ya- Mexicans don't mess around when it comes to celebrating!).  Dr. Klapheke thought it was not such a great ideal for our asthma-ridden nephew to make the trip to swine flu-infested Mexico.  I believed him, but didn't really love hearing it.  I was sorely disappointed, mostly because I haven't seen Turner since Christmas.  I miss his hugs and kisses, his laugh and his little head tuck when he thinks he's in trouble or else when he's trying to make a very emphatic point.  I miss his thoughtfulness and the way he seems to grow inches in his sleep.  The one ray of hope was that the airline would reimburse the ticket due to the flu.  Maybe they can still get down here before I'm gone.  Otherwise, I'll see them in KY in the late summer...
I had sent Mom and email that morning and she responded that I was back earlier than she thought.  I was supposed to go to a quinceaños for my friend Tania's niece.  I was really excited to see a real one.  But with the delay of skydiving, the girls I would've ridden with were gone before I had even left the site.  So I responded to Mom's email that I didn't get to go because I had been...skydiving.
After PK and I discussed the plan (cancel hotel and call airline and Andy), Mom poked her head in the computer and said, "Did you really go skydiving?" and then poked her head back out.
"Yep."
The Mom silence you'd expect.
Patrick at least gave me the "the golden child is trying more tarnish, yet again" face.

No comments: