Friday, May 22, 2009

All Aboard!

After my lunch and picture with Mario, I trekked it up to the top of the hill to wait for the train.  We were told to be there by 12:30.  I was there by 12:15 of course.  I didn't have school the next day, but I didn't want to pay another night in Divisadero!  I had done all there was to do, I had found my zen, and I had realized I wanted to save some money for other trips!
I got to the top and saw the golden oldies with their suitcases and my Tarahumara man motioned me over.  I gave him a 50 peso tip, which was probably way more than necessary, but I wasn't about to have carried all my crap from my room to the lobby and from the lobby up the hill.  As a matter of fact, with the basket addition, I'm pretty sure it would've been impossible!
As he took the tip, there was a man cutting fruit (preparing for the passengers who would get off to enjoy the view and have a bite) who said, "Now that's a tip, huh?"  And we all laughed a little uncomfortably.  Apparently the elder crowd had not tipped at all.  Part of that is not knowing the culture of Mexico I'm guessing.  Pretty much everything requires a tip: leaving your car in a parking lot (they "guard" it), backing out of your spot at the parking lot (they "help" you), the grocery bagger, even the Oxxo bagger.  The Tarahumara man started his complaints about how he doesn't get paid by the hotel; he literally lives on tips.  That made me feel better about my tip, but worse about his life- especially considering how many people were (not) at the hotel.
The tour guide for the Americans was leaning up against the wall by the fruit man and struck up a Spanish conversation with me starting with, "You're Laura, right?"
He went on to tell me about his group.  How it had started as 60 tourists and was down to 11 due to the flu outbreak.  Then he gave me his conspiracy theories on the flu.  Apparently there were epidemic drills the past two years in Mexico.  He said Mexico's about to go bankrupt- they do every 6 or 7 years but it's been a run of 14 years and it's time.  I couldn't really follow all of it because I believe in the good as opposed to the conspiracy...
He also said he thought I was a doctor when he first saw me.  I explained that I was a teacher through and through.
His group was stopping in El Fuerte and he said I should too.  (Here we go again.  At least he was in my age range.)  I actually was wishing I had considered it originally and had left Divisadero one night earlier to see more of the area while I was there.  Oh well.  Live and learn.
Their group had a whole train car to themselves (thankfully), so I got on and paid for my ticket.  Again, my little Tarahumara man helped me since I just really didn't have enough hands!

No comments: