Wednesday, May 6, 2009

To market to market....

(Considering this is three weeks later, and in the midst of the swine flu stuff, I just laughed out loud, alone, at the title to this entry!)

After we waddled out of our restaurant, we walked, ever so slowly, up the main drag and checked out the local crafts.  Granted, we didn't want to buy a ton of silver, since we had just been to the silver mecca.  However, there's not a city in Mexico that doesn't have earrings to offer me!

We stopped in one store and after asking a few questions, the owner started chatting with me about why I'm here, same ol' thing.  So I told him.  We got into a big discussion about Culiacán and the truth about the dangers here, etc.  It was fun talking to him.  I have started really enjoying chats with Mexicans I encounter.  I feel much less pressure to speak well than I did when I arrived (which is probably directly related to my improvement).  Anyway, I fell prey to three pairs of his earrings.  I'm always a sucker when the person has made the craft they're selling.  In fact, more than several Mexicans have mentioned to me that foreigners in Mexico (especially US visitors) always stock up on artesan crafts while it doesn't interest Mexicans in the least.  When they travel, they want clothes or food.  I found that interesting (remember that for a story from Creel).
We continued up the main drag and found this really pretty restaurant.  I ate here with the guys in November.  It was one of the other two spots mentioned in my book.  I don't think we could've made it that far, though, after our hike.  We were starving!  There's a reason we ate way too much!

A little farther up the road, we encountered the market we had passed (and where we had made our fateful wrong turn).  Ashley had seen a soccer ball or two she might be interested in.  I had seen a tie-dye product or two I might be interested in.  I told you it was a hippie town.
We made our way around the square.  I was tempted by a super cute (in my opinion; Ashley hated it) blue tie-dye sweat skirt.  I mean, so cute.  I could just see it with flip flops.  Beach cover up, or real life clothes.  They only had one size, though.  And unfortunately it was not mine.  And after the meal I had just eaten, it didn't seem to be a size I would ever see.
We stopped at a honey stand and Ashley bought some.  It was, in fact, delicious.  The honey craze here is interesting.  It's their cure-all.  Good for them!

No comments: