Thursday, May 21, 2009

Last time


I had my last included breakfast.  I made it count!  It was delicious.  I will never get over fresh papaya.  When I got back to the room, I started the packing process.  I had bought my baskets at this point, but they would have to be separate.  I also had my computer up and running to get updates on Honey, PK, and to see about school.  Maribel emailed me and said it was okay for me to take travel plans.  Then within three minutes, I had another email saying that there was a training on Thursday afternoon (that I knew about but had forgotten/assumed would be rescheduled) that was mandatory.  Bummer.  My wallet, though would be thankful.  In the first five days of May, I had spent what I usually spend in three and a half weeks in a normal (non-traveling) month.  And I still had a DF trip planned for the next long weekend (May 14-17).
I spent my last few hours on the infamous porch...
Unfortunately, at breakfast, I had heard that Nan had diarrhea and wouldn't be going on the morning tour with the aged.  Nan just happened to be in the room below mine.  As I was in my happy place on my porch, she came out and started going into details with her neighbor.  They were both yankees and Nan had a creaky voice.  It interfered with my zen, but at least made me laugh.
Mario had told me that lunch would be served at 11:30 for the elderly and that I could join them if I wanted.  I left my luggage with a Tarahumara man who is emplyed by the hotel as a semi-bellboy.  He was gathering the luggage for the whole group, and I told him I wasn't with them, but he said he'd take mine (and my basket), too.  I went on to my lunch of beef strogaunoff (how in the world do you spell that?!) and a delicious chocolate cake (as if I Can eat three big meals and two desserts a day and not gain weight?!).
I checked out and asked Mario if I could have a picture with him.  He had been very helpful and friendly the whole weekend.  Every time he saw me, he called me by name and made at least a 5 minute conversation.  On Sunday, after my sunrise hike and breakfast he asked me if I were happy (which I took to mean, "Is everything okay with your stay?").  When I told him that yes I was, he said, "That's obvious.  It's evident in your face that you're happy."  I'm telling you.  It was a magical weekend.  When I asked him for the picture, he agreed and said, "Qué buena onda." which is more or less, "You're pretty cool."  It made me laugh.

1 comment:

sabale said...

QUE BUENA ONDA JU JU