Thursday, May 7, 2009

More suitcase issues.

As exited as I was about my backpack fitting into my suitcase and only having to roll it, my plan was foiled in whichever US city I hit before leaving the country.  I was one of the last ones on the plane and there was no space in the overhead compartment.  Anywhere on the plane.  I had to march past a bunch of people in the aisle to get to the front of the plane to check my suitcase.  I took out my backpack and laptop, leaving just about nothing in my suitcase.  I wanted to say, "What about that first class closet?  I mean, there's nothing in here..."  Thankfully, they ran out of tags to document my almost-empty suitcase, so I had time to remember that my passport and wallet were also in the suitcase- accessible for layovers.
I also had to discuss with the gate agents (what is it with me and gate agents) that my other suitcase was checked through to Culiacán and while yes this was in fact an international flight, I didn't have to do anything with my luggage until I arrived in Culiacán.  I have traveled this road once or twice, and while it shocks me, it's the truth.  My luggage goes to Culiacán.  As a matter of fact, before this trip, I had never even had to go through customs in Mexico City.
This time I did, luggage-less, but that's neither here nor there.
After asking me three times for the name of my destination, my friendly gate agent had to look up the code in her gate agent book.  I can feel her pain.  I'm guessing no one reading this (self included) had heard of Culiacán before my big adventure.
They got it checked through to Culiacán and all was well.

No comments: