Thursday, May 7, 2009

Back to the School Life

Since I traveled all day Monday, I missed our first day back at school from Spring Break.  No one seems to mind my comings and goings (probably because even when I'm there I only have classes about half the time!), so no big deal I suppose.  Tuesday morning, Guille picked me up as usual.  We made our way to school and I had a hard time getting adjusted back to school life.  I was tired, it was hot, and I felt like I wasn't accomplishing anything.  Shocker.  Not to mention I found out there would be more testing coming up and I wouldn't be teaching.  Cool.
I made it through my miserable day, but I knew there was no way I could make it to my Spanish class and be civil enough to participate.  Instead, I took a nap when I got home.

Thursday and Friday of that week were the set-aside days for the testing.  A coordinator was coming to oversee it all.  First and second graders would not be tested, but I only teach first grade on Monday through Wednesday.  So basically, I was going to have to come to school to teach one class.

I showed up on Thursday and Sandra had told me she would take me home after teaching my first class.  I show up to teach second grade and the class looks small, but I get to work.  Half of them don't have their books, but it's April by now and we still have serious making up to do.  I do my best to teach a somewhat difficult lesson without books.
As I was getting ready to leave them, I told them to make sure and bring their books on Friday.  "We won't be here, Teacher."  Interesting.  I asked Rocio about it and she said since it was testing, she asked half of them to come on Thursday and half of them to come on Friday.
Nice.
Turns out, of course, that on Friday, I taught them at the end of the day, but they weren't finished with their test (that's right, the one that only 3-6 graders were taking), so I didn't even get a chance to teach them.
I had somehow forgotten how things worked here in my two weeks away!

No comments: