Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Friday- do it all!

There was a Talaveratour at 11, so I wanted to see the other two things on my list: Frog street (it was suggested in the book and "opened" at 10) and the artists' area before heading that way.  I was up and at em by 9:30 so I could be at Frog street (antiques and just cool things to see) by 10.  I walked leisurely to my first stop.  What was I thinking?  A 10 am opening time can't really be right in Mexico.  Nothing was open.  I stuck around a few minutes but decided to make my way to the  Talavera since that was my actual priority.
I wandered and wandered and couldn't seem to find my destination.  I stumbled upon a bakery (oops) and then the market.  The market was a great find.  I ended up with 12 DVDs (okay okay- I shouldn't have bought them!) for 100 pesos!
There was an old lady selling quesadillas (with cheese!) that looked incredible, but I was full of pastry and was trying to hold out for mole.  I checked my book again for the address.  I finally found it.  It was not at all what I had expected.  It looked more like a gift shop.  And the prices looked more like a museum!  I bought a tiny $12 Christmas ornament and got out of there.  I decided that while I was there, I should take advantage of the quesadillas.  I had had mole in Tepoztlán.  I could deal.
I went back to Sweet Street to look at their Talavera.  Several sweet shops had sugar skulls that we learn about for Day of the Dead, so I bought two of those in hopes they'd survive the trip back to Nashville.
I found some little Talavera trinkets, but not nearly the mother load that I expected.  My favorite purchase (again, why do I have to buy big stuff?!) was a cake plate from one of the sweet shops.  It's a little smaller than a cake plate and has no dome, but I will probably use it as a cake plate.  It's gorgeous and I love it!
I wandered a little more and stumbled across the "Montmartre" of Puebla.  It was much less impressive than the artistic district of Paris, clearly, but still neat to see.  I made it back to the hotel just in time for the 1 pm checkout.

No comments: