Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Internet, minus the cockroach

It was still daylight when we got home.  Close to 7 I think.  We had no reservations for Friday night in DF.  As we had left our beloved Hotel Emporio, we had tried to make the reservation for Friday night, but our front desk boys said it would be easier and better (rate- and room-wise) to do it via internet.
Done.
So we got back from Tepoztlán and headed out to the pool (minus the wine and on active cockroach duty) to reserve a spot for Friday.  We checked some emails, etc.
Friday was set aside to see about 3-4 hours of Cuernavaca (it's basically a big city with not much in it besides really pretty gardens and some art) and then our bus ride back to DF.
We were gross.  We were still showerless.  We were not interested in fighting the bugs this night either.... What're two girls to do?
So (oops) I'm on the computer, multitasking and Ashley comes out from doing who knows what and I say, "Tomorrow's the 17th right?  So check in on the 17th and out on the 18th, right?"
"Sure," she says.  "Unless we wanted to check in on the 16th?"
I looked at her and had to laugh.  I was prepared for a sponge/kitchen bath with hair washing in the sink (reminiscent of third grade hair washings in Mom's kitchen).  Apparently Ashley was not.
The sacrifice was that Reed and Regina would be back on Friday at some point and I wouldn't have minded seeing them, letting them show us some Cuernavaca things, and properly thanking them.
The other part of me thought that a hot steamy long shower in Emporio would really fit the bill.
Timing is everything.  
The last bus out of Cuernavaca was at 8:30.  It was right at 7.  We had exactly one hour to get packed and cleaned up, keys returned for ID, and hail a taxi for the bus station.  Could we do it?!
Luckily, Ashley is a sacrificial spirit and told me to start packing my stuff first since I had a lot (that whole Spanish-teacher thing is often a really big excuse to buy too much!) and she would start on the cleaning up process.  We hadn't been there too much, so there wasn't much to do, but packing was tricky.
I stuffed most of my stuff into my suitcase and backpack, and then used shopping bags to haul the rest.  Ashley came to start packing and I starting moving plants (that we'd watered) back to their appropriate location and wrote a quick note to Reed thanking her and telling her I'd be emailing her.
Twice the power went out, making it a bit tricky to pack suitcases!  We managed.  As Ashley was locking up (we had our luggage outside waiting), I had the bright idea to run tot he street and grab a taxi, luggage-less, as opposed to trying to make it to the street on this cobblestone hill with our hands (backs, arms, and legs) full of stuff.
I found a taxi immediately (I do love that about most cities in Mexico) and he came on in.  THe driver and pool cleaning guy loaded all our stuff (you'd've thought we were a family of five here for three weeks!) and we headed out.  I dropped off the key to the guard and got my ID back.
We did it!
We arrived again, in perfect timing to just walk right through and get on the bus.  The trip back to DF was only an hour.  I don't know if it's because it was mostly downhill or what, but I think that was half the time of the reverse trip.

No comments: