Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Another market...

This time, not to buy a fat pig, though the week we were there, was actually the week the Swine Flu cases broke.  It wasn't called that until almost two weeks later.  But when I realized this time table, it made me nervous.  Luckily, I had been gone long enough that it didn't matter...
We walked into the market and it looked like two floors of more of the same old stuff.  What was going to stand out to us?  What were we going to go home with?
The answer: pottery.
We passed lots of silver.  We appreciated it.  
There was a dress (adult sized) that looked like it belonged on a stage.  Out of curiosity, I asked the price.  1500 pesos.  If it had come in enough under a hundred bucks, I would've considered it.  It was gorgeous and would have been so fun (there's that teacher excuse again) on the first day of school.  However, that price tag was out of my budget!
We kept going and realized that this place was elevated.  I don't know how to explain it.  It's like it spiraled.  You still had to take the stairs, but you ended up going up, too, without taking the stairs.  Anyway, one of the last little shops we saw was a Talavera pottery place.  I had seen several "blue plates" I had liked and had been considering for a wall hanging (in my future home I think).  
After spending considerable time at this place, we both ended up with about 50 bucks worth of pottery.  I got four really big, decorative pieces.  Ashley got a little tea set (pot, two cups and saucers) and some small plates.  We were so happy with our purchases.  Until we had to walk back to the hotel in the midday heat.  Ugh.
There would be another "until" the next day- when we had to carry all that breakable stuff back through the airports in our carry ons...
As we were approaching the hotel, I got a text from Paloma saying he was on his way!  We had planned on a little more downtime than that between our two adventures, but Viva Mexico, right?  We scurried up to the room, got rid of our pottery, and got ready for the afternoon adventure.

No comments: