Friday, May 29, 2009

Party times 4

Saturday was typical for me.  I got all of my laundry done and my room cleaned.  I ran and did some computer things.  I knew we had two parties to go to that night, but I didn't know the details.  Alma got home around 7 and started getting ready, telling me we had Elvira's birthday (her boss from Centro de Idiomas) and then a birthday party for a friend of hers from high school.
When she got out of the shower, she told me Mayrita had called and wanted us to go to a surprise birthday (I'm telling you- birthdays all the time) at Quinantzin's house for Rabsomething.  I can't ever remember his name.
Mayra came to pick us up at 9:30 and we made it to Q's house before the birthday boy.  We surprised him, had some chocolate covered marshmallows and strawberries, made conversation with the crowd, and then left (Alma and I) once Karina got there to pick us up.

We got to Elvira's house (I had been there for a posada with Mabel since Alma had invited us) and immediately took advantage of the tacos.  They were carne asada and delish.

Johana, Karina, Ocyé, Elvira, me, Alma
The foursome (Ocyé, Alma, Johana and Karina) are inseparable and completely take over center stage wherever they are.  I remembered that from the posada, too.  Ocyé was like the deejay.  They kept us in stitches and didn't let go of the karaoke mic until we were ready to go, which was much sooner than I had expected.  But I guess when you have another party to go to....
I was preparing myself for the high school friends party where I wouldn't know anyone.  I was excited to get to know these people (another group Alma had not been around much in the Lenin days).  However, we pulled into an area near Wings and I realized we were going to Novo.  It's the club I first went to with these girls when I arrived in Culiacán.  I guessed that the birthday party would be here.  I was glad it was already 1 because I wasn't enthused about dancing for hours upon hours with new people.  Give me my gang and I'll party all night, but...
We got in (I love that girls get in free everywhere in Culiacán) and found a table by ourselves.  This was not the party.  This was just the dance break before the party.  The ended up playing some really good music (with none of the junk that usually comes between every good song).  Some of it was US pop, but most of it was just good Mexican music that I knew!  We had a ball for about 45 minutes and then headed out.
From there we made our way back toward our house.  There was a huge party going on on the corner across from the Oxxo.  Turns out that was our party.
We parked and as we were walking up to the entrance, we saw Jair and Foca driving by.  We told them to park and come on.  As we walked in, though, Alma saw Karla, Chapo, Lenin and Graciela leaving.  She didn't think they had seen her, but obviously that put a cloud over the rest of the night.  It was about 2 already.  The only people here I knew were the girls I had come with and Yuri (the guy from the bridge night), only I hadn't recognized him at first.  Around 3, Alma went to the Oxxo with Mayra Loca's brother.  I imagined they were chatting about all the drama.  By 3:30, my eyes weren't staying open anymore.  I was standing, thank goodness, so I was still awake.  I told Karina I was just going to walk home since it was so close.  She forbade me to go alone, saying Alma would be back soon and could walk with me.  Half an hour passed and she was still with Juan Carlos, so I decided I would just go.  However, at that exact moment, a
bunch of army men stopped in the street and started checking parked cars and stopping traffic (maybe for drugs?).  The party started edging its way back from the fence.  I stuck close to Karina, Ocyé and Johana.  We called Alma who said she was on her way, but we told her to stay put and we'd come to her.  At 4:15, we were walking back to Alma's house (Johana had decided to stay at the party).  She took the girls and Juan Carlos home as I trotted off to bed.
It has been since DF that I have stayed up this late.  It was going to hurt in the morning!

No comments: