Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Fiesta- estilo Mexicano


Jen, Laura, Kate, Shawna
After we got all dressed up, Warren did us the favor of a gals pic before we went on what Kate called the Dress Up Gringo Parade.  She said anytime she's with another gringo, she calls it the gringo parade because of all the looks they get.  This time, we were all dressed up to go out, so she modified it.  I don't get looked at twice or stared at for being a gringa in Culiacán because I don't look like one.  As a matter of fact, when I was leaving Puebla from the bus station, a man could tell I was hesitant about which direction to go and said, "¿Qué buscas, güera?" which is "What are you looking for, blondie?"  You have to realize that their definition of blonde is far different from ours.  Kate is considered a güera, and I think a looser interpretation of that is gringa.  Anyway, I wanted to kiss the man.  I'm so thankful that I don't stand out and that people don't stare; Jen and Warren are in a small town and are tall, very white, people.  They get stares like they might have a leg growing out of their foreheads.  All the time.  I don't know what that's like.  I'm not jealous, per se, but I thought it would be interesting to feel that way for awhile.  When Ashley and I were in DF with her fair skin (read: really white and freckly) and with our shorts and tennis shoes, we got some looks.  Those didn't compare to the gringo parade.
We walked several blocks to the Zona Rosa to a restaurant that Kate had picked out but had never tried.  That seemed a pretty big risk to me, but it wasn't my 30th Mexican style birthday party.  The only thing Kate slipped on was the starting time.  She thought like an American.  We got there before the stroke of 8.  We were the first ones there.  By a long shot.  
Shawna got things started by joining the three man band Kate had hired.  She's always in the middle of the mix!
Surprisingly early (for Mexican standards), one of Kate's colleagues from school showed up with his wife.  She was very happy to see him!
We all continued the chit-chat and enjoyed our wine while the rest of the gringos showed up.  Around 9, they started serving the food.  The majority of the Mexicans were still not there, which distressed Kate a little, but we all thought it seemed normal.
We were served a delicious huge salad topped with jicama.  The greens were delicious and it had been a long time since I'd had any.  Then we were served our cajun fish.  This was one of the best meals I've had in Mexico.  It was so good!  Again, no room for it all, but I finished it!
We took our time eating and around 10:30, they came out with the cake.
Best I can tell, it was like a tres leches layered cake with strawberry ice cream (kind of frozen with ice chips).  Again, phenomenal.  If I remember nothing else from this year (though I'm betting I'll remember a lot), I'll definitely remember the quality of the food!
After the cake, there was a little more discussion.  Since the Mexicans had arrived around 10:30 (when the cake came out), they were still eating long after the gringos had reached their end.  We ended up walking back to our house around 12:30.

***The best part of the night (personally), was when I needed my camera.  I had put my camera in my purse and had hung my purse at the end of the table.  Reed was beside me, Regina beside her and then a Mexican friend.  I asked Regina to ask the friend for my purse.  Then I leaned in front of Reed and said, "Can you hand me my purse?  It's the blue on with the camera."
I leaned back to wait for my purse and Reed was staring at me.
"Oh. My. God.  Laura!"
I was like, WHAT?!
She said, "Your Spanish is awesome!  Listen to your accent!  You sound so much different than you did in November!"
This was a huge compliment in itself.  I was hesitant and terrible in November, so I knew I had improved.  The most important part, though is that I respect Reed to the moon.  She's an amazing teacher and her Spanish is incredible.  She has an extensive vocabulary and a great accent.  I was thoroughly pleased with myself!

No comments: