Thursday, May 28, 2009

Cold Showers

Knowing we had a movie date at "9," I rushed home from yoga and jumped right in the shower.  I have had cold showers for about a month now.  Maybe since a little after spring break.  the first time it was shocking.  Since then, it's actually been pleasurable.  My night showers are after yoga or running, so I'm super-sweaty and still hot.  The initial jump in is bad, but I don't even get cold chills at the beginning anymore.  I thought of myself as pretty low maintenance before (especially when I had to be), but after this year, I'm going to be off the charts low maintenance.
Anyway, I've gotten used to these showers and look forward to them as relief after my workouts.
I rushed home that Tuesday night and jumped in the shower only to be surprised by hot water.  I couldn't get the cold to work.  I think it was too hot to have just been warmed from the sun all day.  I don't get it.  I'll assure you this: even in Nashville, when I leave hot yoga, the last thing I want is an immediate hot shower.  After getting accustomed to cold showers, I was miserable!
I got out of the shower almost hotter than when I had gotten in!  We got ready and when I went downstairs, Topete was already there.  I didn't know who all was invited to this shindig, so I was kind of surprised.  I had only seen him the one time at Iván's game night since Manzanillo (first week of April), so it was good to catch up.  He and Alma comforted each other in their break-up dramas.
Shortly after, Iván arrived and it was approaching movie time.  Good news: the Matthew Mc movie was the movie of choice!  We called Mayra to see where she was and what the hold up was.  Her answer was that she was at a family thing and would meet us there.
Topete drives the four of us there and we meet up with Quinantzin and her hair stylist who came to game night but whose name I never caught (it's a non-traditional one that I haven't seen so I haven't committed it to memory).
Alma had free passes to the movie, so we all got in without paying.  Nice.  The boys went to buy popcorn and cokes while the girls went to the bathroom.  The real reason came out why Mayra wasn't there.  It was girl chit chat and basically she had thought it would be a 2-4 person outing and (oops on my part!) it turned out being 7 of us.  Anyway, we went in to watch the movie and within the first 15 minutes, my man Matthew says, "No" in his beautiful southern drawl and I could see Topete turning in my peripheral and I said, "See?  Nouuuuu.  It's how it's said!"
It was funny.
I loved the movie.  It was your typical chick flick and semi-predictable things, but not as cheesy as they can be.  And who doesn't love Jennifer Garner?
As we were leaving, we walked out and Alma said, "It smells like rain."  I looked at her like she was crazy.  Just that day, one of my favorite (I know, I don't have favorites) first graders looked out the window and said, "It smells like water."  It's very Mexican to smell the rain coming or going.  I wouldn't know, being neither Mexican nor a smeller!
A few minutes later, Iván caught up with us and said, no joke, "It smells like rain."  I gave him the same look and Alma and I just laughed at each other.  I had to explain that I can't smell, but I didn't bother explaining that it was such a Mexican thing.
Another 1 am school night.

No comments: