Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Who are you?

That was my greeting from Jacob as I walked in.  Of course, he's only met me twice.  Once for a bit in DC in August, and again for a few hours in November.  Who can blame him for not knowing?  It's a weird feeling, though.  For one, in Culiacán, everyone knows who I am.  Everyone in the English Department city-wide knows me even if I don't know them due to the times I've spoken in front of everyone.  Even some non-English people who are just friends of friends know who I am.  For two, I know these kids very well.  I keep up with their family blog, and I remember meeting them in DC and staying with them in DF.  I'm just another adult to them.
So anyway, it was 5 when I got there and Kate was set to arrive at 6:30.  Since it was raining when I got to the bus station, I hadn't changed out of my shorts, t-shirt and tennis shoes into my dress, make-up and jewelry.
I got to work immediately, helping dry dishes, wash lettuce, cut things.  We all caught up on our past few months.  We're all in relatively regular email communication, but it's never the same as really catching up.  I found it interesting how ready they were to get back.  I guess I just assumed everyone was in my camp.  But I guess when you're 10 years old and under, and out of school for two weeks of spring break and then two more weeks of swine break, it gets a little wearing.  Not to mention they've had to put up with Mexican public schools for a year!  The chaos must've rocked their worlds!
When the food prep slowed down, I got ready quickly.  Gretchen was surprisingly impressed at how low maintenance I am.  

No comments: