Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Real Creel

After our authentic visits (it wasn't until we were almost home that we realized we missed the true cave), Pancho dropped us in the town square of Creel.  It became evident how happy I was that I hadn't stayed there.  It was a dusty little train town with nothing in it.  Nothing, that is, except souvenirs.  I bought some, got some ice cream, and took out some cash from the only bank along the train route!
After I made my purchases and saw what there was to see (or what there wasn't), I sat with my styrofoam lunchbox and saw that it was a double decker sandwich on white bread.  Boo.  A banana- had potential, but I've never had a banana like this.  It was dry.  And hard.  Very strange.  I couldn't even take the first bite.  As soon as it hit my tongue I had to get rid of it!  There was a peanut butter granola bar which I love and saved for later and a manzana lift, a carbonated apple juice that would've actually been surprisingly refreshing and good if it'd been cold!  As I was finishing my lunch, up walked Quetzal and César with their purchased tortillas and cheese.  Apparently Chihuahua (Creel's state) is known for its cheeses.  (Refer back to earlier entry how I said foreigners buy the crafts and Mexicans buy food and clothes.)
Our ride back was much less chatty than the ride there.  
We were in the hotel by three, just in time for a short nap and some reflection on the porch.

No comments: