Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The boys...

Between the time Paloma texted and the time we were in the car with him, he must've called or texted fifteen times.  Confirming the address.  Telling us he was on his way.  Telling us he was close.  Telling us he was there.  Telling us they wouldn't let him park in front of the hotel, so he was on the side street.  We were walking out the door when he called the last time.  I answered, but he wasn't there.  I hadn't seen him, but he had called I guess to see if we were ready and then he saw us come out.
It's not fair to say I have a favorite out of these three, but if I had to choose, Paloma is my favorite.  He's chatty and funny and nice.  And in November, he did a lot of question asking, which was important because I wasn't on my speaking game.  However, even though he's my favorite, I was about to tell him to stop calling.  Not only was it costing me credit (because I wasn't in Culiacán), but because it was driving me crazy and slowing us down!
At any rate, I introduced him and Ashley and we got in the car.  Later Ashley had commented on how well I spoke with him.  I hadn't noticed, except that I knew I was speaking way more (and better) than he was used to from November since I spoke so little.  Actually not at all unless spoken to.  I filled him in on our travels, the cockroach, life in Culiacán, etc.  And then I made him compliment my Spanish.  
He got us turned around for a minute, but I didn't mind because I was not responsible for knowing where we were!
After about a 40 minute car ride, we ended up in his neighborhood (I think), and met up with Chory (Shania's cousin) and Beto, the two I rode to Tepoztlán with in November.
At that point, Paloma parked and we got in Chory's SUV.  Actually, I think it was his parents' because it was brand new.  And later that night, he would be in the car I remembered from November.
We were off to the Desert of the Lions.  Turns out it's not for the animals lions.  It was a family named Lions.  The conversation was not as two way as it was in Paloma's car.  For one, the guys got into their own chatty convos a lot.  Private jokes, stories about people I didn't know.  But it was okay.  It was really good to be with them again.  I had almost forgotten how much fun (even if I was quiet) I had had with them in November.

No comments: