Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Just another Saturday in DF

Shawna was up with the sun and went to get some coffee.  Oddly enough, the two hours she was gone (more or less- she did a lot of leisurely walking) was the best sleep I got that night.
When she got back, we made our plan for the day.  Warren was headed to south DF to get some parts for their truck from the Toyota place.  The girls were going shopping near the zócalo.  We were off in search of a breakfast place, but I was still chewing on cake and lasagna from the night before.  We ended up getting water (me) and munchies (them) in an Oxxo to tide us over until lunch a short couple of hours later.
Jen's main goal was beads.  She makes jewelry and there was a bead street, so we set out to find it.  She seemed worried that that would bother Shawna and me, but we had no other plans.  I thoroughly enjoyed being in the city I love and actually knowing where I was.  Since it was Saturday and too late to change my plane ticket without major expense, I didn't text the boys again.  I still hadn't heard from them.  I took that as the Mexican polite: we have other plans but don't want to tell you know.  Thank goodness I hadn't changed my flight and gotten a hotel for that night!
As we were approaching the bead street, I saw a gold jewelry alley.  I asked if they'd mind if I popped in.  I found a charm!  I have not been diligent in looking for gold charms on my ventures lately.  Or even if I have, I've not been able to locate any.  I was pretty much ecstatic.  It's a sombrero and I love it!
While Jen shopped for beads, Shawna and I went to the ATM to get some cash for her.  Then we waited on Kate and Warren to show up.  We had lots of catching up to do.  I hadn't realized that Kate had been robbed.  Her camera and video camera, cell phone and laptop were all stolen along with some money.  I was relieved to know that after she reported it to Fulbright, they replaced all her stolen items.
When it was time for lunch, we settled on a Chinese buffet.  I had been adamantly opposed (I made an accidental scrunchy face, mostly because when I'm in a different place, I usually like to eat what they're known for- or at least test out their version of Mexican, only to reaffirm that Sinaloa has the best food in Mexico), but when we saw the buffet, it did look really good.
We sat down, got our drinks and started our trips.
I got a plate of fruit- pineapple and something else- that had chile on it.  Kate was shocked, "You're that Mexican now that you put chile on your fruit?!"  I explained to her that it was already prepared that way, but that I had actually grown to like it.
The sweet and sour chicken and fish were my favorites, as usual.
We were full when we finished, but that never stops a traveler from eating!  We passed a Santa Monica place and stopped for ice cream.  Apparently theirs is the best.  We don't have it in Culiacán.  I have to admit it was pretty much divine.
From there, the girls decided to shop while Warren went back to the room.
After trying on a thousand things that did not look good at Mango, Bershka and Zara, I made my way back to the room, too.  I spent an hour or two reading, facebooking, and just relaxing.  Sleep somehow wasn't an option, but Warren and I had some good conversation.
Next thing I know, Shawna and Jen are back with Mediterranean food for us to munch since it'll be 9 before we eat dinner.  Kate has headed back to her place to get showered and changed.  We eat our falafel, pitas, and assorted dips.  All of us get on our mac laptops and start downloading Spanish songs and doing online crossword puzzles.  It was hilarious.
At 7, Kate showed up at our hotel and hung out until it was time to leave to get to the restaurant by 8.

No comments: