Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Kate's surprise bash

Seated and front row: Kermit, Reed, Gretchen
Standing: Lucas, Regina, Laura, Jessica, Shawna

The guests started arriving and we had a blast.  There were soft drinks, beer, wine, appetizers (shrimp that were nothing short of
divine, clam something or other, bruschetta, and something else I think- I had even added some galletas poblanas (cookies from Puebla) to the table) and great conversation.  It's amazing the bond we have considering I have only seen these people twice in my life and met them less than a year ago.  We're already planning a US reunion for the Mexico group.  We're the self-proclaimed best Mexico Fulbright group yet (and to come!).
Kate, being the American she is, arrived perfectly on time to her 6:30 dinner with the Yoder-Schrock family.  I was very jealous in November of the DF folks that were close to each other and could see each other.  I would've enjoyed that, but now, I'm very thankful for my experience.  Being alone has strengthened my Spanish not to mention I've been blessed with some really really good friends.
Kate was pretty surprised that there was more than just dinner.  She knew everyone else would be in town on Saturday for her official 30th party she was throwing herself Mexican style.  I had followed the original plan and lied through my teeth that I had other plans and couldn't come.  She was truly surprised that I was there.  I'm so glad I made it.
Jessica and Lucas, who both work for Comexus made an appearance.  It was good to see them, too.
After we had been chatting awhile (we could've gone all night), Gretchen started serving the lasagnas.  There was a traditional meat lasagna and a creamy vegetable lasagna.  I had the latter and while I wasn't hungry from all the appetizers, I had no problem enjoying it and finishing it!
The conversation was very interesting.  We were mostly interested in grilling Jessica about our year, past groups, the next group, and how we could make it to DC again.
She filled us in on lots:
-this year had more problems than usual (one returned Mexican, problems both financially and otherwise between two other matches)
-we are the coolest group (Jess would know)
-next year's best Mexican comes from Tijuana, and the US counterpart accepted (kinda like this US counterpart accepted to Culiacán)!
-Mexican candidates are ranked 1-however many there are.  US candidates are each ranked on a scale 1-4.  We were all 1's.
-there will be a one-way exchange next year from Los Mochis to the US.  They're looking for someone to exchange with her and even offered a spot in Mazatlán.  It's an elementary placement; I considered it.
-grantees next year will get $5000 start up money to alleviate living expenses (hardly anyone else lives as cheaply as I do)

After the in-depth conversation, shots of tequila were served (what Mexican party would be complete without tequila?) as well as a choice of a Germanesque chocolate cake or a darker chocolate.  You can guess which one I ate!

I then popped in my skydiving DVD for all to see.  They were impressed.  You will be too when I show you!
At that point, it was well after midnight and we needed to all get going.  We had another party the next night, after all.  
My original plan had been to stay at the apartment, but Shawn had told me she had a hotel room for her, Jen and Warren and that there were four bunk beds.  So I joined in on the fun.  We taxied home and I paid since I was bunking for free.  
We were staying in the same place we stayed in November.  Again, no air conditioning.  Again, no need.
The night was fine, but I didn't sleep well in yet another new place.  And with snoring sound effects.

No comments: