Saturday, March 21, 2009

Tour of Mazatlán

Our pulmonía driver, though dead-set on getting us to find another place to eat for lunch and to return to plazuela Machado at night, was a great tour guide.  He talked non-stop from the aquarium to the very southern point of Mazatlán beach.  With the combination of the wind, looking at the back of his head, and my hunger, I didn't hear a lot of what he said.  I caught enough of it.
He took us past the Lighthouse, which is one of the famous tourist sites on the southern side of town.  We pulled into a little parking lot that seemed "separate and apart" from the rest of Mazatlán.  I'm not certain this was plaza Machado, but it was a restaurant, and we were hungry!
We got to our seats, at the edge of the water and saw several shrimp boats and tourist party boats dock while we ate.  As we checked out the menu, I saw that there was tres leches cake, so I told Mom we had to save room for dessert.  It's a typical dessert from here and it's "wet," so I wanted her to experience it.
Well, we ordered our meals: tacos "gobernator" for Mom (who had an "Ahnold" comment about the name of the plate) and coconut shrimp for me.
Wow.  We went to town.  Mom had much more restraint than I and stopped before she was miserable.  I didn't.  I was only served six shrimp and I shared one with Mom, but they were huge, and they were completely covered in coconut.  They were more coconut than batter, but they were plenty of batter, too!  They came with a Hawaiian pineapple dipping sauce.  I could eat that every day (and nothing else all day long and gain about 10 pounds a week!).  Even though I was miserable and Mom was pleasantly full, I wanted to make sure Mom ate all the things she needed to, and I wasn't sure there would be another chance for tres leches cake, so we ordered it.  And another coca light to share.  Ha!
The plate came and the cake was jiggly.  It is really gross looking.  The texture can't really be described.  I convinced her, though to take a bite, and she liked it!  I knew she would.  It's a good sweet!  What's not to like (besides that there's no chocolate)?!
We finished that and found another pulmonía in the parking lot.   We made our way back to the hotel.  It was evident on the ride back that it was much hotter that day than before, but it was still pleasant with the constant breeze of the open-air taxi!
I don't know how my bathing suit still fit at this point, but we suited up and took advantage of a few more hours of sun...
Another great day!

No comments: