Saturday, March 21, 2009

Shop til you Drop...

We got our fill of sun, got ready, and were still not hungry.  We wondered if we'd be hungry again before Mom left for the US!  That was perfect for our plan, though.  We wanted to get ready, shop, and then if we were hungry, we would find a restaurant.  We had the name of one restaurant up in that area where the shops were, and there was always the tourist trap of Señor Frog's if we got desperate.  
The pulmonía ride was much shorter than the time before, so we decided our first driver had taken us on the scenic route.  We got dropped at the store we had seen the night before, and we could see plenty of other options within walking distance.
We popped in the first store and I was in Heaven.  The first thing I see are Mexican bags (the mesh kind) with pictures of Frida on one and Zapata on the other.  I was sold for my classroom.  The front room had some jewelry which sidetracked Mom for a bit.  I will be in Taxco in about 3.5 weeks, so I'm trying not to buy too much jewelry until then.  I proceeded to the back part of the store and they had all things I like: tiles with numbers and letters like I got in Spain only these were huge, ceramic mirrors, ceramic pitchers, ceramic cabinet pulls, glasses, skeletons.  I didn't know where to begin.  My head was swimming with home renovations to put the cabinet pulls in my kitchen or bathroom.  I decided to calm down and not change my house that I may not be in two years from now just for some knobs that I was in love with at the moment.  I moved on to the picture frames.  I got some.  I went back to check on Mom and started helping her with the prices.  I went back and found a Talavera mirror for 300 pesos.  It was absolutely gorgeous and only 20 bucks?!  I was sold.  How I would get it back (or how Mom would, that is) wasn't a big worry at the time.  Mom made her purchases while I went back and forth about just how much stuff I could fit into Mom's suitcase.  At one point, I came to check in on her and she told me she needed to sit down.  I had gotten all hot (shopping will do that to you) at one point and had had to go out to the sidewalk to take advantage of the breeze, so I just thought she was overheated.  I carried on making my decisions.
When I was ready to check out, she was not looking so good.  I grabbed our bags and we started walking, but Mom needed a place to sit down.  The only thing close was a bus stop.  We headed that way and then I saw a Dairy Queen.  This DQ, unfortunately, didn't have much air conditioning, was packed full of people, and only served ice cream.  There were no beverages.  She needed a Sprite because she was getting really nauseated.
I was going to leave my stuff there and run find her a Sprite nearby, but the DQ was not a satisfactory place for me to leave her, so we walked that way together.  I got the Sprite and we hailed a cab to go back to the hotel.  We got there just in the nick of time.  Mom threw up five times that night.  Bless her heart!  And what could I do?
Nothing.  So I made sure she had some salt for gargling, a cold rag for her head and neck, and some padding on the bathroom floor.  Then I went out to finish my shopping!  I know that's terrible, but there's really nothing else I could do to help, and if I had to listen to her throw up, odds were I would end up joining her at some point.  That was the last thing we needed!
We hadn't had anything to eat since 3:00 that afternoon, and it was approaching 8, so we're not sure if it was food, water somehow, or a virus.  
When I got back from shopping, she was asleep, but only in and out of sleep.  I went out to the balcony to enjoy the sound of the waves and get some chats in.
Neither of us slept well that night, but I think I got hours more sleep than she did.
I hated it for her that she had to spend any time sick in Mexico.  She hated it too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I certainly did hate being sick even a moment of my time there!! And it was six times, not five.