Saturday, March 14, 2009

A Case of the Mondays

I made it to school on time for Honores and then to teach my extra class.  Monday morning's extra class is 5th grade.  They're an interesting dynamic.  They were difficult at the beginning of the year, because last year they were two separate 4th grades and this year they all got bunched together.  It's like the kindergarten class that doesn't have enough corners.  But they've grown on me big time, which is interesting.  Their dynamic now is about half very attentive, very interested overachievers and half mischievous (boys mostly) students that don't care about English, but are definitely interested in talking all through class and causing a big ruckus.
I love to teach them, though, because of all I can do with them.  For example, they know enough English that when Maribel had popped her head in to talk to me, then said, "See ya," as she left, I could explain the Spanglish that Tania loves to use.  I say, "See ya," often to them, but when someone else says things in English it throws them.  I explained that "See ya" sounds like "silla," the Spanish word for chair.  Often, when Tania is closing a text, she puts "Chair" meaning, "silla" meaning "See ya."  It took them a minute, but when I left class on Monday and said, "See ya," several of them responded with "chair."  This is the same group that got "-ish."  I also like practicing pronunciation with them.  They've had enough English to know a lot of words.  When they say something like "Tank you," I can show them how to shape their faces and mouths to say it correctly.  It makes for a fun class.
As I mentioned, Maribel popped by that day to say hello and to make sure we were on the same page about the tv show ordeal on Wednesday.  My page was blank, but it was the same one as Maribel's.  I knew I needed to drink some creative juice when I got home.  Maribel wanted to know which two groups I would use.  I said 1st (because she had suggested them on the phone last week) and I said 5th (because I was with them at the time and having fun).  She said that one group (1st) should be in the classroom, and that the other should be outside on the multi-purpose area.  Awesome.  An outside activity.  Teaching 101 says never to introduce something completely new (typically referring to the material, but DUH definitely not a new procedure- they take weeks to ingrain) on a day that you're being observed.  Everything needs to be predictable.  This seemed unimportant to Maribel.  And being the visiting gringa teacher, I aim to please!
She also told me that I should spend all day Tuesday practicing what I'd be doing with them (that way it wouldn't be completely new) and decorating so the school looked like it promoted English (which it doesn't look that way because I have no materials!).
Awesome.  I love nothing more than a dog and pony show!

No comments: