Monday, March 30, 2009

Time Difference

I knew I was being picked up on Monday morning, but I didn't know what time or by whom.  Maribel had given me strict orders to not ride the bus, and I heeded my mother's comment from the earlier blog.  
I decided to get up at 7:30 since it was not likely this person would pick me up before 8.  My first class is at 8:50, so I thought it was possible the driver would be there closer to 8:45.
By 8 I was ready, but no one was there, so I put my cell phone in my hand and climbed back in bed.  I knew whoever came would get lost and call me.  Not to mention Mamá Alma was downstairs and would come get me if someone showed up looking for me.
At 9:30, I woke up and realized no one had come yet.  I texted Maribel to let her know.  I would've just ridden the bus, but, well, see sentence 2 of this entry.  She texted me back saying she was in a meeting but would call me.
About fifteen minutes later, I had a text saying to meet her at yoga.  I was out the door.
Whoever had been sent had gotten lost and I guess had not bothered to call anyone to let them know I was on my own for travel today!
Maribel took me to school and chatted with Sandra to figure out what to do about getting to school until they fixed the road (could be three months!).  Sandra offered to come get me.  Through more conversations later, we realized that Guille (6th grade) lives near me and didn't mind swinging by a meeting place for me.  It's halfway between my house and my bus stop, so I'll be walking less!
Again, there's that Mexican helping spirit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog while i was searching for emporio sushi, and i'm very surprised that you are teaching at my old school. I mean, really old school. I went there about 20 yrs ago. I'm glad to see that it's still working on getting better. Thank you for working with them.