Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Girls' Night Out

So Friday, Alma told me that there was an English Office Girls' Night Out.  Did I want to go?  Well, I'm always up for anything, so I was in.  She told me she thought she'd get off work early from Navolato (she teaches English to adults at the Centro de Idiomas there from 4-8 and usually gets home around 9), and we could leave around 7.  The girls' plan was to start hanging out around 5, immediately from the office.  I should've known better on both accounts!  For one, no Mexican woman is going to go to a party (even if it's just girls) in her work clothes; she must change clothes, freshen her makeup, and put on higher heels than her work heels (that are already a good inch taller than my highest pair).  
The second part was Alma getting off early.  I took an abbreviated nap and forwent the running for Friday.  At 7:30, she sent a text saying she wouldn't be getting back until 9 or so, that I could go to yoga if I wanted.  Ha!  There's no yoga on Friday.  But I could've run or slept longer.  Oh well.
The reason she ended up having to stay so late is that she was asking her boss to let her quit basically.  Her new trimester would start next week in Culiacán, and she wouldn't be on the road two hours a day and getting home at 9 or later each night.
She went to her first two classes and the last two were cancelled, but apparently she ended up talking to her boss over an hour.
When she got home, she said that she had just talked to Diana (the singer) and that they were still there and would be there awhile.  
We were on our way.
We got to the house and I probably knew 3/4 of the girls there.  Maribel and Ana Luisa were in attendance, too.  I love that office parties here are actually fun and that there is no age limit.  In Nashville, we don't put a limit on who can hang out, but it's always the single girls plus one or two married gals, but those that are still under 30.  Occasionally, like when we went out for my last night in Nashville, everyone goes regardless of age or marital status, but that is rare.
We had a really good time.  There was gossip, there were jokes, and there was lots of alcohol.  I kept up with the conversation, but in a group of almost 30, I didn't participate much unless asked a specific question.
After being there about an hour, Lenin called (and thought Alma was still in Navolato and she let him keep thinking that) and said for her to call him when she got home and we could go to Liliana's house.  Renato had called and invited the gang over to hang out.
Our exit from the GNO was dramatic.  No one wanted us to leave, which is a good feeling.  And Alma's excuse was, I have to be up early for work tomorrow (a Mexican truth, but not the actual reason for leaving).
Off we went.

No comments: