Tuesday, March 24, 2009

STRIKE!


Lenin, Alma and I showed up at the bowling alley a little after 9, which I felt like was ahead of the game.  Liliana and Renato had been there for 20 minutes by the time we got there.  They're more punctual than a gringo!  
We debated the plan.  We debated which to purchase (per hour or per game).  We settled on eating first.  Then buying whatever suited us for the time being.
Several people ate.  I refrained since I had had a lot already today and would have more cake later.  Also because it was bowling alley food.  I think it's universal that that food is not top notch.  I did, however, have my trademark (16 peso) coca light.  
When other people started coming into the bowling alley, we got our act together and decided to each pay 70 pesos for an hour.  That way we could put 3 people on a lane and play as much as possible.  We had the four center lanes in the 20-some lane bowling alley.  Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on the frame and game), our competition was only unofficial.  Of course, with the pressure of a competition, I would've failed miserably.  
Diana, Alma and I pose for a quick shot 
(I'm wearing the shirt Alma gave me as my bday gift!)

Instead, we just played for fun, keeping track covertly with darting eyes to other screens after a strike, spare, or gutter ball.
The first game, Renato was rockin' and rollin' on his lane, but Cristina on my lane, had complete beginner's luck and beat him by one point with 113.
Renato, Lenin and Mayrita 

Apparently, we (I) were just getting warmed up in the first game.  I must first explain that the first game was hardly fair.  For one, the ball I had, while fitting my unfortunately-shaped and -sized thumb well, was too heavy (story of my bowling life).  You may not believe me, but after the third frame, I had a blood blister on said thumb.  You can imagine how big it was (the blister, not the thumb).  Toward the end of the first game, I traded out for a lighter ball and the winds changed...
I scored strike after strike after spare.  I was extra proud of my newfound skill (luck)!  I pulled out a whopping (Are you ready for this?  Like, sitting down?) 154!  I beat Renato, my nearest competition by around 30 points!  At that point, he and I kept our eyes on each other (Though I'm not sure why; I knew my luck would only last one game if it lasted all of that!).
After those two games, most of our lanes got to start a third game before our hour was up.  We didn't get too far into it though.  Cristian had just gotten there, and the guys felt like they were just getting warmed up.  The girls were beginning to feel "bowler's arm," but we were having enough fun to tough it for another 70-peso hour.
Iván, me, his girlfriend (and Ana Luisa's daughter) Rocío

I should've known to stop while I was ahead.  I got greedy.  It's like gambling.  Once you win, you think you're invincible.  And when you're losing, you think the only way you can go is up.  No matter how wrong you may be!  
We played two miserable rounds and were almost relieved when the lanes closed.
Those who made it to the end: 
Front: Topete, me, Alma, Mayrita
Back: Iván, Liliana, Cristian, Lenin, Daniel, Renato

At this point, we graciously returned our gorgeous bowling shoes and put our rightful shoes back on.  Alma went to the bar to ask for our cake back.  It had started melting when we got there, so we stored it in the bar freezer.  We all made our way out to the front of the bowling alley, where "Happy Birthday" was sung to me in English.
"¡Mordida!  ¡Mordida!" was the battle cry.  I had to take the traditional bite of the cake.  Luckily by then I was well practiced!  I snuck a bite without anyone's noticing!  I laughed proudly at myself.  
That, apparently, was unacceptable.  Alma fussed at the crowd for not being ready to get me.
They started the chant again.   I prepared myself mentally and physically for bite number two.
This time, I was swift and smooth again!  Alma was on her game, bumping up the cake a little into my face (see previous picture), but everyone else was distracted.  She yelled at them again.
Third time's a charm.  They began shouting and I didn't put up much of a fight.  Either I'm getting weaker in my Mexican-ness, or I've really learned the lesson well that they won't let me be stubborn Laura, so better to do it earlier without a fight than embarrass myself after a really long fight only to STILL succumb to their demands.
I took a deep breath.
I faked them out three times.
And then I went for it.
The combination of Alma's pushing the cake up into my face from underneath (a little harder this time) and Lenin and Renato tag-team shoving my face down into the cake made for two nostrils full of ice cream cake!
I was a good sport and just laughed.  I took the opportunity to teach Lenin a new word: snot rocket.  It wasn't necessary, but I figured it was more or less in context!  No one seemed to be prepared with napkins, so I was ice cream faced and nosed for a good two minutes (which is an eternity considering the circumstances).  Mayrita finally came to my rescue.
As you can see, Alma was obviously satisfied with the end result, but you'll notice she was an ice-cream victim, too!  I was pushed so hard that some of the cake moved all the way onto her shirt!
She tried to whine about it, but all I had to say to her was, "¡Pobrecita!"
It was a great night and I wouldn't have traded this whole day for anything else.  I love my friends here and had such an amazing time with them celebrating for what seemed like weeks!

No comments: