Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My special day....

So today was special for so many reasons.  The first, of course, being that I turned 25.
Again.  
For more than the second time.
Anyway, let's begin with the early morning well wishes from Mamá Alma.  Then I got an international phone call from Ashley wishing me Happy Birthday.  
In fifth grade, I walked in and they sang "Happy Birthday" in English and then stampeded me for the traditional hug.  My foot got squished, but they showed their love.  All day long, students were hugging me.
In my last class, Maribel called me to tell me to stop by the office.  There, they had a guayaba cake for me, and Ana Luisa had a pair of huaraches more or less authentic.  I loved them so much I was speechless.  In two languages.
I came home to find decorations and the card that Ashley had left at Mabel's when she was here (God love Maribel for working her magic).  I also had an ice cream cake from DQ in the freezer that Ashley had put Alma up to getting (who in turn put her mom up to it).  Mom called.  Andy Skyped.  Dad attempted Skype (and will get there someday).  Patrick was one of the first to facebook.  It was a good day.
In the middle of every lesson, my phone would beep acknowledging yet another text.  Renato, Liliana, Alma, Rocio, Topete, Iván.  Basically, go through the roll of my friends and they acknowledged me.  I told Alma that I usually bowl in Nashville for my birthday.  So she said we should keep up the tradition.  I sent out the texts.  We were all game.  

No comments: