Friday, March 6, 2009

Tales of a Mexican Dog

I'm beginning to think I should start a whole new blog site for the adventures of Vasito.  I am envisioning weekly, if not daily stories!
Last night, when I left for yoga, Mamá Alma walked with me because she was going to mass, and the church is on the way (not La Lomita).  As we were leaving, Vasito starting practically jumping up and down, ready to go with me.  Just about every time he sees me, he gets all excited and turns circles to the door; he knows he's getting out. 
When we went last night, Mamá Alma wouldn't let him go.  He'd been out all day.  I'm not really sure what her reasoning was, but this time he was staying home.  He did the dog version of a pout.
Fast forward to this morning, when I left for school.  I thought I'd try to squeeze by him and leave him.  Ha.  So we trot on to my bus stop.  I must say in a week and a half he has gotten better at not being directly under my feet.  He's still not great, but better than before.
We made our way past the church and the Oxxo (told you they're everywhere), and we crossed the street to wait on the bus.  He trotted on around the corner, the way we continue when going to yoga (he must've had his times wrong).  Up to this point, he's gotten distracted in the mornings before we got across the street.  Alma's grandmother lives by the church, so he often goes to visit her when she's on her porch.  Another time, her mom was out and about and he stayed with her.  No matter the reason, he's always found a way to get distracted.
Not this morning.
The bus seemed to take longer than before (I must've just missed the one before).  The other man waiting at the bus stop kept looking at Vasito, but didn't say anything for a long time.  I had my iPod in, so it was probably better that way.  Eventually he said something about Vasito's face, I'm assuming about how he was looking at me or some such (iPod distractions coupled with morning ears leads to minimal understanding).  I could see up in the distance that my bus was on its way.  I could also see that it was lurching.  This wasn't going to be a fun ride.  My first bus to the baseball stadium is always very full.  I always have to stand and am practically reading over the driver's shoulder.  I got on, paid, got my change, and grabbed on to the poles and chairs.  The light was red, so we were going to be waiting for a minute or two.  But I sensed something.  I looked down, and there was Vasito, curled up in the floor behind the driver!
Oh goodness.  Kind of a nightmare when dealing with a stubborn dog.  I told him to get out.  
Nothing.
I pulled on his head (of course no collar).
Nothing.  He leans up to sniff the little girl in the first seat.  The driver looks at me blankly.  I'm wondering if we can't just go with him on.  I'm about to offer 6 pesos for his ride when I gather up all my strength and pull him.  He planted his body, but he may have met his match for stubborn.
He finally made it down the stairs.  I got a few kind smiles and "poor thing" laughs.  Had I been a witness to this instead of a main character, I am certain my eyes would've been rolling and I would've been super annoyed.  My how perspective changes things!

No comments: