Monday, March 16, 2009

The Real Party

After dropping Mom off at her hotel for a shower and some rest, Alma and I made our way back out to Pirru's rancho.  As we pulled up, it was already darker, due to the hour, and there were lots more people than there were before we left.  Walking toward the crowd, I hear that Renato has grabbed the karaoke microphone (at this point it's just playing music for dancing) and is chanting, "Laura!  Laura!"  I'm cracking up.
The dancing was Mexican dancing to Mexican music (the terrible kind as opposed to the pop stuff that I can stomach), so I chatted for a long time with Diana and her boyfriend.  I got Spanish compliments and we had interesting conversation about safety in the US versus here (related to crime).  Diana's boyfriend's take was that it's safer here because the crime is intentional and kills bad people, whereas in the US, you can be shot in a high school.  Part of him had a point.  But I still explained that the fear factor is upped when you're in a different culture no matter the reality of how safe it is (or isn't).  
When Alma and I had gotten to the party the first time, I had brought a bottle of Pinot Grigio that I had bought several weeks before for such an occasion as this.  At 4, there were only about 6 people there, but they still all made a huge deal out of the wine.  Well, when I got back from the airport, I opened up the bottle and you would've thought the world was standing still!  Again, Renato got on the karaoke to announce that Laura did, in fact, have an alcoholic beverage.  Then we had to celebrate with a picture.  Alma drinks about as much and as often as I do, so we documented it.
Several more people had their turn at the mechanical bull, and I took another shot at it, though I wasn't much better the second go round.  I just decided that wasn't my calling.  
Around 11, people started leaving.  Not the main crowd, but some of the "extra" friends (those that aren't always in my blog) had other commitments like weddings (yes, at 11, they were leaving this party to go to the wedding!) and other parties.  So our numbers at this point were probably down to about 30.  Diana thought that would be a good time for karaoke.  So she calls me out.  I go running because I figure by now if I just do it fast when they ask, it won't be such a big deal.  If I say no at first, they end up chanting and drawing way more attention than I need, so I've decided it's better to just give in early!  I walk up to the machine and grab my mic and see that she has chosen "I Will Survive."  Um, not in my repertoire.  Not that any song really is, but, man!  So we sang.  I must saw we sang our little hearts out!  Luckily Diana is a professional singer, so she knew which words with which inflection started at exactly which moment.  Unfortunately for me (and all those listening), only one mic worked: mine. (Diana is on the left and her sister Rocio is on the right)
After embarrassing myself with one song, I got chants and requests for another.  And another.  And another!  I went into my genre for a bit and sang the karaoke version of Usher's "Yeah!"  I was much better at that.  After what seemed like 45 minutes of me on the mic, the music got changed to the non-karaoke because "Air Force Ones" was not on this machine for karaoke.  Lenin came up and grabbed the other mic and did his rendition of "watchu watchu watchu" while I rapped the lyrics.  As hilarious as the first time!
After the rap, it was a free for all karaoke.  The girls all got lined up and sang songs that I had heard plenty (from all these karaoke birthday parties), but had no idea what they said.  Of course they dragged me to join them, so I spent my time staring at the screen trying to sing the words while also attempting to understand at the same time.
I did pretty well, but you can see by the picture that everyone else is just chillin and having a good time, and I'm intently focused on the lyrics!
At this point, the crowd was getting hungry (and ready for a change from karaoke and who could blame them?!).  They had eaten hamburgers while Alma and I were eating carne asada with Mom, so the birthday cakes were rolled out of the kitchen.  While this birthday party was actually thrown (aka funded) by Jair and Topete (don't worry, I begged to pay my part), it was in celebration of all March birthdays.  In the following picture, you see all five of us.  From left, Nadia (Jair's younger sister), Jair, Lenin, Topete, and me up front.
As is completely and totally Mexican, after about 14 shots of the same picture, people starting jumping into the picture.  They always have to have more then one shot.  And no matter who is really supposed to be in the picture, if they see a camera (as a general rule), they jump in the picture.
Because this is something so Mexican, and because I see it coming every time but still find it so funny (I guess that they're willing to "ruin" someone else's picture), you can see my reaction in the next picture!
After "Las Mañanitas" was sung, it was time to blow out the candles.  We did it all together, though Nadia seemed to have backed out at some point.  I forgot to make a wish, but it would've come true since we put out the fire!  I'm guessing celebrating a really nice birthday with some incredible friends that I didn't even know I would know this time last year is considered a wish granted.  After the candles were blown out, each birthday person was supposed to take a "mordida" which is a bite of cake.  I was initiated into this in Cozumel one year on Spring Break for my birthday.  Topete started.  He leaned down to take his bite and got his face pushed in.  Only a little, but still.  Then Jair.  Then Lenin.  Then came the "Laura" chants again.  I swiped some caramel frosting off the cake with my finger and licked it off.  That didn't satisfy my public.  I bent down and took my bite.  Someone swatted at my head, but not much of my face was knocked in.  The cake was nasty.  It was a pineapple cake I think.  I ended up getting a slice of the chocolate/caramel one for my piece of cake.
After the cake festivities, the party continued: karaoke, bull riding, dancing.  It was a fun night.
Around 2:30, I drove Alma and me back to my hotel while she explained some drama that had gone down.  She had spent the majority of the party inside and out of sight, which is totally unlike her.  I knew something was up, but every time I asked, I felt like I was being asked to not join in (not by Alma, but by the people who were with her at the time).  Turns out she didn't want to be talking to them about it, but they wouldn't leave her alone.  
I got all filled in on the ride to the hotel and it felt like home.  I know that's strange, but listening to my friend talk about her problems and ask advice.
I got into the hotel around 3 and Mom was fast asleep.  I joined her quickly!

No comments: