Saturday, March 21, 2009

Early to bed, Early to rise

Thursday morning, I thought I should teach my extra 8am class since we would miss pre-recreo classes due to breakfast, and since post-recreo classes were cancelled due to a meeting.  We got up, got ready, and were out of the hotel walking to the bus stop by 7:20.  We got to school early, but not too early.  Mom drew lots of looks and lots of, "¿Es su mamá?" from my students.
Immediately she recognized and met Sandra.  She was already getting things ready for the recreo celebration of my birthday.  She offered Mom some homemade cookies and they shared greeting and niceties about meeting each other.  I gathered up all my teaching supplies for 3rd grade and off we went.  They did pretty well.  I guess they were on their best behavior for Mom.  I hadn't intended on staying with them the full 50 minutes so we could pass by the 1st grade rooms and at least see them in action, but the best laid plans....  Especially in Mexico!
The lesson required me to stay the full time to make sure they understood.  From there, we went back to change out my supplies and we went to give a test to the 2nd graders.  Since they only had one year of a Mexican teacher teaching English before me, their pronunciation is GREAT.  It makes me feel sorry for my students at home that they have to learn from me and my pronunciation, but it's better than not having the opportunity!
The test took the whole time, because there are always a few students who stare at the first question (to which they don't know the answer) until the last 5 minutes when I push them to skip it and move on.
After second grade, we went to 4th grade for a quick class, because the bell was rung for 10:30 recreo at 10:15.  I was surprised when it happened, but not surprised that it happened.  After all, we had a major celebration and thirty minutes would certainly not do!

No comments: