Sunday, March 29, 2009

Martha, 1st grade teacher, extraordinaire

Martha is the 1st grade teacher that I truly admire.  (She and the 5th grade teacher are in competition in my mind for most improved class award, meaning they started with really tough groups and ended up with the best-behaved and my favorite groups.  More on that later, in my emotional "I'm leaving BOO HOO HOO" entry.)  
On Friday, when we were debating what to do with the kids for that thirty minutes in between formation and the event, the decision was made that the kids would go to class for thirty minutes and the parents could set up their stands of food.
I ran around like crazy making sure all my speakers were there, making sure everyone was dressed for their parts, and making sure all questions were answered.  
Most of the kids were out running around.  There were some carnival type games set up.  I went to Martha's room for some reason, and there she was- with all her kids in their seats- teaching!  She does what she's supposed to do.  All the while cultivating a very welcoming culture for her students.  I love her style.  It reminds me of home.

No comments: