Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The World As We Know It....

may come to an end.  Hell may freeze over.  Etc.
Yesterday, Mabel and I HAD to go to the super to get groceries.  We didn't go on Sunday because we were beat from the trip to Celestino.  We had nothing, and I mean NOTHING in the house.
So we went to the super.  We stocked up and headed home.  Cosette, of course, did not stop talking from the moment we left the house until the moment we dropped her at the playground (and I'm sure she actually continued there!).
At some point, I interrupted her and said "Mira" which is look.  It's used the way we use it, to look at something, but also look, as in, I need to say something.  After I finished my sentence, Mabel PAID ME A COMPLIMENT!!!!!!
She said that my "R" had gotten a lot better.  That when I got here I had rolled it too much, and that now it sounded right.  Hooray!  
Here's the deal with the r.  Every American knows it's hard to do.  I remember when I finally did it after years of Spanish class.  I was in Honduras with Señora and suddenly it just happened.  The problem is, there are two different trills.  The single r is just a trip up of the tongue- still sounds rolled to us, but isn't really.  The double r and r's that start words are rolled a bit more than the others.  Americans who can roll the r, tend to overroll.  Or maybe that's just me.  But, poco a poco, I'm arriving!  And I think part of my dream last night had some Spanish in it.  Give me time.  I'm almost there (well, it's a journey that has no end, so I'm farther along, how's that?)...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well... not every American. Vick canNOT do it. We have tried and tried to teach her. Maybe you can give it a shot when you return!