Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Obama or McPain?

On Saturday, being laundry day, we headed over to Papá Jaime's house for laundry and the inevitable food.  I washed my sheets for the first time (YIKES!) and sat down while my laundry went round and round.  Jaime starts in on politics.  Is he CRAZY?!  He went on and on about McCain and how he was sure to win because a black man can't be President.  How Americans are scared of a black man.  How he's a good debater, but he's dangerous.  Isn't he rich, he asks?  I explain that he's a rags to riches story.  Oh, well that makes him all the more dangerous.  He now has all this money and he'll go crazy with his power.
He literally talks for about an hour about it.  I try not to say too much.  He says he'd vote for McCain if he were in the States.  I do not hold back at this moment, and I say, thankfully you live here.  Mabel laughs.  She doesn't say much either.  Maricela comes down to continue cooking (bless her heart) and he asks her who she'd vote for.  "Obama!  Obama!" she chants and continues cooking.
We all laughed.
Then he asks Mabel about the Civic he wants to buy.  New.  She warns him against it since we're in a crisis.  No crisis is his reply.  That's the best time to buy!  We'll never be hungry, Mexicans.  There'll always be food on our table.  We may not have cash, we may not be able to buy new clothes, but we'll always eat.
Cool.
Then he goes into BBQ chicken.  Have I ever heard of it?  I'm going to try some today.  Tells me all the ingredients, etc.  It was hilarious.  I wanted to tell him that that happened to be one of my favorite dishes, of course I was familiar.  I settled with telling him that it was a typical dish in the States.  Little did I know it was going to be BBQ like you put on a bun.  It had cooked so long it fell right off the bone and was delicious.  VERY typical from where I'm from.  Whit's, anyone?!

No comments: