Thursday, October 16, 2008

Wet Food

I had eaten lunch already when Mabel got home yesterday (it was 4!) but she hadn't, so I sat with her.  She had dropped Cosette off at Jazz lessons and hadn't eaten since she left for teaching at the university at 11.  I sat down while she prepared her salad.  I laughed when I saw the Mil Islas dressing and thought of Jack, who never uses any other dressing!  Anyway, she piled her salad high with croutons, cheese dip (I mean what we think of as garlic dip) and dressing.  She then cooked some chicken patties that have been frozen prepared with Italian seasoning.  She ate it and we talked about the day.  She has been offered an extra afternoon teaching job in an elementary school just down the street from our house.  She'll do that in the afternoons when she doesn't teach at the university.  Within this conversation, she mentioned that she hadn't yet received a paycheck.  Um, we've been working six weeks.  She should've had two or three paychecks by now...
We continued our discussion and she asked me why I didn't eat the chicken she was eating.  We get it every week.  It seems so processed to me, which is how she eats most everything.  I didn't know how to explain that without sounding snobby.  She told me to try it and I did.  It's good.  But I would eat it on a bun once in a blue moon, not every week and not on a salad that has been ruined by millions of calories!
She asked me why I never put anything on my food.  The way she said it (the Spanish phrasing) was SOOOO funny.  I explained that I have a simple taste to begin with, and that since I don't smell very well, I probably don't taste very well either.  Maybe because of that I don't need much on my food.  Moreover, why add bad things to something to make it taste better if I like the taste to begin with?  Why learn to like something unhealthy, basically.  I tried to explain this, but it was NOT sufficient!
She talked about the chips from the baseball game and how I had liked them (I ate one and didn't gag which equates to loving them).  I didn't hate them, and actually liked them a little, but again, why ADD to unhealthy things?
I told her that everything in Mexico was wet: cakes, chips, bread, etc.  We laughed about that for awhile.  Friday she's going to take me to some restaurant where they serve you (I have pictured in my head) a chicken pot pie except with beef and Mexican insides (Mexican ingredients, not insides of Mexicans!  No Sweeney Todd for this chica!) and they serve a sauce to pour on top of it.  I don't like gravies, I don't like sauces, but she said it's optional and delicious.  I can eat wet food for a year.  Who knows, I may even come home with a palette for lemon juice and wet food!

No comments: