Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Post-beach Pan

After Cosette and Papá had tested all the waters in Celestino, we made our way home.  It had only been about an hour since we'd eaten, but we stopped before getting on the highway to buy bread.  It's funny because the Mexican assumption is that Americans eat too much bread.  Bread and nothing else (which I think just means we don't eat enough meat for their liking).  But here, they eat tortillas with everything and bread is their sweet.  Papá Jaime the whole way home was saying, "No quieres pan, Laura?"  (Don't you want bread, Laura?)  I mean, the WHOLE way home.  I had to laugh.  He's the kind of old guy who keeps repeating when he doesn't get the answer he wants.  Mabel and I were laughing.  Clearly I didn't want bread (mostly I wasn't hungry having just eaten, but it didn't help that I had seen the ants crawling on the bread.  No can do.)
Love him for trying to fatten me up.
Hate him for trying to fatten me up!

No comments: