Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Being Bullied

Friday at school, Maribel and Ana Luisa paid me a visit.  They needed to drop off the information about Casa Achoy for my students (my 5th and 6th graders would be attending on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week and needed to be informed).  While they were there, they asked me about my schedule, how I felt, etc.  Then they dropped the bomb.  They need me to work in Casa Achoy 3 hours a week to complete my 24 hour commitment.  From what I understood in DC, Maggie and Jessica (Comexus-Fulbright Mexico- people) warned me that they would want a piece of me in every corner of Culiacán.  They said my commitment was to Yuri's school and that's it.  I could do anything extra I wanted, but that would be my commitment.  So I explained to them that that's what I had thought but could confirm.  Then I told them that it wouldn't really matter after November, because our school schedule was in fact changing to the full day schedule, with specials in the afternoon.  Thankfully, there is a meeting tomorrow at school for the parents so I should get more details, too!  Maribel quickly told me that, no the schedule would not be changing and I would have time for Achoy. Ugh.  I said okay I would think about it.  Sandra was there (we were in the computer room) and she jumped in telling them that yes it would be changing.  Probably in November.  Apparently this is not an official change.  It has nothing to do with the SEP (their Board of Education more or less).  It's being done as a pilot program in the zone unofficially to see if they want to change to that next year officially.
Great.  Maribel looks surprised and then says "We'll move you to a better school."
I don't WANT a better school.  If I should've had a better school, why didn't I get it in August?  And if I were at Yuri's school instead, would there even be a problem?!  So annoyed.  All the while, Ana Luisa is whispering to Sandra that my contract says 24 hours, yada yada.
On the bus on the way home, Maribel calls me asking which day I'd like to do Casa Achoy, that they need to know by Monday.  She adds that I am welcome to listen to whatever they say at my school, but that they (the SEP I assume) have the power to decide where I will go and what I will do.  She pretty much ruined my weekend.  Mabel, of course, tells me not to stress out.  Ha!  That worrying won't do any good.  Right Mabel.  So easy to do!
I sent an email to Jessica and Maggie and called Jessica with no answer.  Since Maribel wanted an answer yesterday, she called me for my answer.  I explained that I was trying to get in contact with the Mexico office and I would get back to her when I knew.  She seemed okay with that. For now.  Problem is of course, that I sent another email today explaining the urgency of the situation and received out-of-office replies from both Jessica and Maggie.  I will have to wait until Monday at the earliest.
Oh, Mexico!

No comments: