Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Catholicism

When you study Spanish, you're told that all Spanish-speaking countries are centered around (can you be centered around something?!) the Catholic religion, but that there are surprisingly few that practice.  I have found that to be mostly true (generally, broadly speaking).  Maribel (enlace) told me in my first few days here that she was a Catholic, but not really.  And that she liked to believe in something, but never attended mass (you know how much attendance counts in the CofC-Sunday morning, evening and Wednesdays!) and wasn't too sure about the Saints, etc.  What I have noticed, though, and forgive my lack of words here (and knowledge) is that I'm always around many people giving the cross sign (you know on their shoulders and such) as we pass churches.  Genoveva (Geno for short, preggers) always does it.  And she's one of the ones I mentioned before who says God willing.  I'm going to start a religion conversation with her sometime soon.  Stay tuned.

No comments: