Tuesday, October 14, 2008

more -ish

Last week, after I taught the "-ish" bonus lesson, we were reviewing some homework in 5th grade.  Jazmine, the eager-to-learn-and-follow-the-rules girl (one day, with a serious serious face she asked me if they were supposed to raise their hands or not, clearly annoyed that the rule was to raise your hand, yet I was letting the class get away with shouting out the answers chorally!  how dare I?!), corrected another student.  I was asking random comprehension questions about the colors of clothes and how many this and how many that.  Someone answered purple and I disagreed and let another student answer pink.  Jazmine quickly raised her hand and with her furrowed brow asked, "Isn't it pinkish purple?"
Amidst the yelling ("loud talking") and fighting for their attention, they can in fact be taught.

No comments: