Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Beatriz

You may remember this name from DC.  Beatriz is the oldest of the three from Culiacán.  Shania calls her la Señora Beatriz out of respect.  She is in Delphi, Indiana on a one-way exchange (remember that her counterpart and Shania's both backed out at the last minute) at an elementary school.  Her two nieces are with her.  She spent the weekend in Nashville.  On Friday, she visited Lockeland and was interviewed by some fourth graders (thanks Mrs. Keys!) and helped Yuri with her Halloween lesson.  Then they (Beatriz and nieces, Yuri and her husband) went to Memphis on Saturday.  Sunday, they enjoyed church, Opryland Hotel and tacos on Nolensville Road.
I looked at her photos on facebook and commented on some of them.  I was surprised when I received a skype phone call from her as I was about to turn my computer off for the night.  We chatted for about 45 minutes and it was so good to hear from her.  She has 23 groups!  But she only sees them once a week.  She has an amazing principal who is very supportive of the program and of cultural learning.  She has done lots of traveling.
We spoke in Spanish the whole time, which felt good.  I know for sure my listening is getting better.  She complimented my spoken Spanish since I was super-rusty in DC.
I'm so happy she's happy.  I also told her that if they make their way down south again to give my family a shout and you might meet up with her.  I had told her in DC that Mammoth Cave was on the way to Nashville, so she could pop in (when the weather's better!).  It was so good to talk to her.  I think the stinkiest part of this AMAZING experience is that we get to know the people that will be in our places pretty well and then have to leave them!  I wish Beatriz and Shania and Yuri could be here now with me.  And I wish I could go be in Nashville and have all three of them there.
I'm all giddy now from a successful Spanish conversation and from knowing she's happy.
Buenas Noches to all and to all a good night.

No comments: