Saturday, October 4, 2008

language issues

I'm still having trouble going back and forth between Spanish and English.  Not so much in conversation, but I will give a recent example of that.
Earlier this week, my throat was really bothersome and I was doing that thing where I pretend I'm not getting sick.  However, after a long day of teaching and a nap in air conditioning, my throat was dry, scratchy, and generally not feeling good.  When Mabel and I went to rent a movie (I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry- actually pretty funny; Pan's Labyrinth- depressing but good), I asked if we could stop somewhere for some hot tea.  There's a Starbucks on the way and guess who has gift cards from her amazing students (and real estate agent for a referral)?!  I don't drink coffee at all, and as of late I was trying to be careful on my frappucino intake, so I haven't been putting them to use.  Whenever I need them, though, they're there!
In the drive thru, Mabel asked what flavors there were and neither of us could understand.  It wasn't written on the outside menu.  Finally, Mabel asked if there was one with apple.  The woman said "cal" and Mabel asked her to spell it. "C-A-L-M"  Ah.  Calm.  Tazo teas.  I once was well versed, but now I don't remember any of their names (I have since looked the up online to be better prepared next time).  When we got to the window, Mabel asked her the names of the others.  The only ones I remember right now are Zen and Orange.  As we pulled away, Mabel went on and on about how she needed an English lesson.  (Irony there, I suppose, with a Mexican telling an American in Mexico that another Mexican needs to work on her English!)  I suppose no one escapes criticism when it comes to language down here!
The issue about Spanish to English that I'm referring to, though is my speech and going back and forth.  Thursday in 2nd grade (a very large class, but sweet and needy and lovable), the students were creating bodies using the vocabulary words instead of lines (the lesson we talked about Amanda).  For example, to make the head, instead of drawing a circle, the students make a circle writing "head" over and over again until the circle is unbroken.  I do this lesson with my second graders in Nashville, too!  I just realized that.
The vocabulary for this unit is simple, so there were some connector pieces missing.  No words are taught this lesson between "arm" and "leg," so I had to teach them "back."  I told them it was a freebie.  Anyway, I set them to work, and feeling blah from my throat still sat down.  One student came over to me and asked me how to say hair ("Cómo se dice cabello en inglés?") and I responded, "pelo," another way to say hair in Spanish.  And she looked at me with a funny grin until I realized I hadn't answered her question!  Then I responded appropriately with "hair."  Someday I'll get it!

No comments: