Monday, October 6, 2008

1st grade interruptions

I got to my first 1st grade group this morning at 8:50, right on time.  I start teaching, but Jassiel (Ha-see-ELL) is crying.  He's a bit dramatic, but his teacher Anabel eggs him on.  One day they just bickered back and forth.  Yes, a grown woman and a first grader.  Well, I asked her today what the deal was and she said they were coming to give the class shots.  Cool.  Okay kids, let's have English!  About 27 seconds into my review for the test (that could be any day if I get to copy it from the back of my teachers' manual, or could be months if I have to wait for the official copy-my money's on months), in walk two nurses with a giant box.  
They tell the students that they have some medicine for them.  They start passing out these tiny little containers that look like the yogurt smoothie containers at Kroger (or any grocer's dairy case).  The kids drink up and get rid of those parasites!  Then, the genius nurse- who is obviously not a teacher and who obviously doesn't work with children for longer than 20 minutes at a time- tells them that she's going to give them a shot in a little while.  First she must go to the other classroom and give the other boys and girls their medicine.  But then she'll be back.  I always have an easy time thinking about the task at hand when I know I'm about to get a shot.  Rrrrrrright.  And I'm 27.  These kids were crying, yelling, whining, etc.  The only thing they were not doing was listening!  Thankfully, when I got to my second group-the typically more challenging group- they were already worn out from the injection and lamenting.  They were amazing today!  I never have as much success with them as I did today.  I'm ordering up shots at 9 am everyday for this group!  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dont know how well ordering shots would go with their parents much less getting them in there in the first place. Dont you need parental permission for field trips