Wednesday, October 1, 2008

First Grade: 1 Señorita: 0

I should've known better.  I shouldn't have gone on and on about how much I looooved first grade yesterday.  After yoga last night, getting home after 9, and showering and getting to bed well after ten, I was much more tired than I realized.  My throat was not performing up to standard and I had a hard time keeping command of my classes.  The first 20 minutes were fine, but then Lucano, who is bi-polar about English class, was on a down day.  He refused to do anything and was not happy that I was there.  Before the end of class, he and Baltazar just up and left while I was at the board writing.  Wow.  So then we had a discussion about leaving.  Lucano said he needed to go to the bathroom, but he knew I would say no.  Well that's justification to just leave, right?
I went to my second group, the slightly harder class.  There were about 6 boys sitting together.  Here in Mexico, kids enter the classroom, sit down wherever they want, and begin their day.  I'm not a fan of this procedure.  I may "suggest" a change soon.  I had serious trouble with Jorge, who refused to do anything I asked.  He would vocally oppose anything we were doing.  He would stand in his chair until I started walking toward him when he would sit.  I was tired, with a pounding head and a dry throat and did not give teaching the energy I should have today.  Because of that, a day that- while challenging- could've been decent was more than bothersome.
At recreo, I was happy to see Maribel bringing books.  I bought a grape paleta (popsicle) for my throat instead of the chocolate and coconut covered vanilla ice cream ones I've been preferring lately.

No comments: