Friday, October 3, 2008

Sit down for this...

At recreo today, after a phenomenal second grade class and a not as wonderful third grade class (they are vying hard to be the most improved- so far they've set their bar low enough to not have to do much to improve, oddly that seems familiar), the principal told me that our supervisor was in the office and I needed to meet with him.  I was thinking Maribel, but it was the supervisor over our school or something.  I still don't understand the layers to the system here.
The office is the size of... What can I compare it to?  If you think of a bathroom in condos that are currently being built.  A half bath, with no shower.  It's that size.  With a desk, a filing cabinet and three chairs.  Yikes!
So I went into the office, and the PE teacher was already in there.  I saw down while they finished their conversation.  The PE teacher got up to leave and the computer teacher and 4th grade teacher joined us.  Then in came the principal.
Basically, they're still trying to implement the afternoon schedule instead of the morning schedule.  Well, the all day schedule that would put "specials" in the afternoon.  Since I'm now not even remotely involved in Casa Achoy anymore, this schedule works.  Not only that, freed-up mornings would allow me to go to yoga three mornings a week (since night yoga requires a $5 taxi ride home).
This is still tentative.  The supervisor was there to see who was willing to work the new full schedule (some teachers only work in the morning, yet others have jobs in other schools) and to see if the afternoon schedule for us "specials" people would work.
While we were discussing it, the supervisor asked me if I wanted to teach in the mornings, too.  That there was a school down the street from this school that had a 5/6th grade English opening.  They're currently looking for a teacher or some such.  I said I'd have to think about it.  He said they could pay me.  Then he said there were four groups.  I'm guessing in order to get to my current school in time for the afternoon class, I'd only have time to give three classes each morning, requiring me to work 4 days a week there.  That would cut out yoga time.  
As I've said, things in Mexico just change all the time.  Mostly answers, not so much life.  So I'm waiting to see when this change will/could/might take place.  I'm also soul searching to see if I take on a new class or two.  I know for certain I will not take on 4 as that will feel like more than a full time job plus time spent on the bus.  On top of that, I want to make it to yoga at least two mornings a week if not three if we change to the new schedule.
Again, tomorrow, the news will be that we're not changing.  Then suddenly it'll all be changed.  We'll see. 
As change has come to be expected, that is not why I wanted you to sit down.  When we left the "meeting," Sandra the computer teacher with cute shoes said, "He thinks you have pretty legs."  I looked at her rather confused and she said, "The supervisor.  I heard him say he loves coming to this school, because the English teacher has legs worth a million pesos.  I don't know how much that is in dollars, but he likes your legs."  I was cracking up (and embarrassed).  As we entered the teachers' room, she told me to make the announcement, and I said, "I'm not saying anything!" and went on about my business of planning, etc.
I'll take $100,000 USD legs any day!  Ha!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

With the improved dollar to peso wouldn't that be more than $100000 now? :)

Love, MOM