Wednesday, October 22, 2008

1st grade battle yesterday

Yesterday was the day I didn't feel so hot (ironically, no not ironically, coincidentally?  I don't know! probably from the heat), so I should've listened to my gut.  I should've played that conversation in my head over and over again until I had the guts to say to my principal that I needed to go home.  I should've known.
I gathered my CD player, Teacher's Book and courage and headed to Anabel's room.  On Monday, the principal had popped in to see how many students there were in each first grade so he could know where to put the new student.  Oh, how I miss my magnet school where we don't take new students after the third day of school!
I see the new student but start teaching as usual.  It's first grade, and it's the eighth week of school.  Basically he's missed procedures, family and greetings.  No biggie, right?
Ha!
I teach for about 15 minutes.  Then I notice he's being a distraction, so I ask him to turn around and stop talking to the person (Baltazar, big shocker) behind him.
He turns around, sticks his tongue out and puts his fingers in his ears.
Very long story very short: he and I ended up in a battle of the strongest (obviously me) and most stubborn (ding!).  I held his hands (and often his whole body in my lap with my right leg keeping his from kicking me) the rest of class.  That's right, 30 minutes.  Thankfully, my other students have learned what I consider acceptable and unacceptable and they just sat there taking it in.  This kid wouldn't tell me his name, wouldn't listen, etc.  I was afraid he would spit in my face which might have unleashed the beast (though he might have already thought he was seeing the beast!).  Luckily, he just tried to pinch, hit and kick.  And luckily, I'm bigger!

No comments: