Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Who knew?

Monday was Columbus Day.  Mexicans couldn't care less.  Work as usual.  I only remembered when I looked at my agenda (first time in weeks, honest) and saw the words there.  It made me laugh.  When I was in college, this girl in Pi Delta came in to the Student Center one day and said, "It's Columbus Day, who knew?" and in such a sorority girl way.  It was a very funny moment that Claire and I relive now 8 years later.  It's funny because I think every year since then, I've needed to go to the bank or Post Office on that day.  In Nashville, it's typically parent-teacher conferences, so students have the day off, but teachers work.  Since it's a different day, I usually take my lunch time to run errands.  And every year, I get to the bank or Post Office and realize it's closed...and why.  It's Columbus Day, who knew?  I think of Bogle every year and I laugh about that statement.
Even funnier, in chatting with Ashley that day, she said she had gone to the bank and it was closed, so she texted two people to ask why.  Neither knew.  She realized later that it was Columbus Day, so she texted them to let them know.  One of them responded, you guessed it, "Who knew?"

No comments: