Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Baseball!

Friday when I got home from school, I made Mabel aware of my birthday party plans for that night and she told me there would be a baseball game on Saturday night.  It was the season opener, so we should go get tickets right away.  Off we went.  We debated for a bit about where to sit.  We ended up with right side 80 peso tickets.
We should've gone for the big time 12 dollar seats.  Where we were was bleachers, yet not called bleachers because it was not in the outfield.  Next time we'll know!
We left the house at 5:45.  The plan was actually 5:30, and Mabel is SUPER prompt, but she overslept!  At 5:40, I still hadn't heard from her and finally went into her room to wake her from her deep, deep slumber!
We drove to the stadium and found some free illegal parking at a supermarket.  We made our way to our seats.  We didn't have numbers, just entrance.  We were about 3/4 of the way up and between third base and my former home-away-from-home, right field!
The game was supposed to start at 7.  
We passed the time people watching.  There were vendors in all directions walking around with their churros, beers, cokes, strawberries and creams, chips, etc.  Mabel and Cosette got a cup of chips.  They looked like Lays.  The taste in Mexico is to have everything wet.  It sounds strange, but that's the best I can describe it.
Anyway, Mabel and Cosette ordered theirs "with everything" meaning soy sauce, their red chili sauce, and lemon juice.  Sounded disgusting.  And you know I can't smell, but it smelled delicious.  Honest!  Another cultural thing is sharing.  And they always let me taste their food.  I didn't necessarily want to taste the chips, but I did.  And they were pretty good!
I went on to order a 30 peso bag of mediocre churros (I think it's typical to get 4 in a bag, my lady downtown gives me that many, too, but for 20 pesos).  I'm not sure if it was the price that made them worse, but I think it was the actual quality.  Having been walking around the stadium, they were less than fresh.  And when he went to put the cinnamon syrup on them, he did it haphazardly.  How dare he?  My lady downtown fills the inner tube completely of all four churros.  Now I know!
A little after 7, the fireworks, dancing, and bands started.  Around 8, the actual game was in progress.  The first time we stood for a break, I was thinking, "innings are way faster here in Mexico" until I realized it was just bottom of the first.  They were changing positions, or whatever you call it!
In the end, we lost 4-1.  We gave up two homeruns, one with the bases loaded.  At 10:30, it was top of the 7th, but we were spent from sitting on bleachers and from 5 hours of fun, so we jetted.  When we got home, I was still hungry, so I fixed my staple peanut butter sandwich and cuddled up to my lesson plans (due the 15th!).  I finished two groups, leaving only 3 to do before Wednesday.  With Maribel wanting me to work at Achoy and not being too happy with my decision not to, I want to mind all my p's and q's!  My lesson plans are finished and sent in.
The following video is a clip from the "banda" that played before the fireworks.  I was CRACKING UP because it's the Spanish translation to achy breaky heart.  Too funny.

No comments: